Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Model IV wing tank repair DIY.

Default Re: Model IV wing tank repair DIY.

Yes it is.

One Wing repaired and ready to be recovered.

DSC_0339.jpg

I notice the section of the tank I cut out was covered in what looked like plastic wrap, After double checking the build manual, I discovered that the tanks are indeed supposed to be covered in some sort of plastic to prevent the fabric from sticking to the tank.

Here the Paint has been stripped for the fabric repair, MEK makes quick work of this, The Poly-Tone, Poly-Spray and Poly-Brush just wipe away with a bit of rubbing, Notice the Mask.... these products will turn you into Rainman. Wear a proper mask in a well ventilated area, or you'll be counting socks tumbling in the dryer and drooling into your soup!

(Top of tank has also been recovered in packing tape)
    DSC_0340.jpg

Fabric patched in. still need to iron out the seams.
    DSC_0341.jpg

Calling it quits for today. Tomorrow I hope to get the first couple coats of Poly-Brush on, followed by the tapes.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Hummer View Post
    I notice the section of the tank I cut out was covered in what looked like plastic wrap, After double checking the build manual, I discovered that the tanks are indeed supposed to be covered in some sort of plastic to prevent the fabric from sticking to the tank.
    Hmmm, that's interesting. When I stripped my wings recently, the fabric was glued right to the tanks by the Poly-Brush and had to be peeled away with considerable force. I'm now in the process of sanding down the Poly-Brush to eliminate roughness under the new covering. I'll have to pay particular attention to tank prep before I re-cover. Thanks for the tip!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Well another expensive trip to Aircraft Spruce:

DSC_0342.jpg

1st Brush Coat of Poly-Brush applied and tapes added to the 1st wing.

DSC_0344.jpg

Tomorrow I hope to get the fabric attached to the other wing, and attempt to get the 1st coat of Poly Brush sprayed on

The clear tape is interesting. Haven't heard of this, at least on the 4's and above. Like Eric mentioned, when i redid the tanks on my model 4, the process was coat the tops of the tanks with 2 coats polybrush and let it dry. Glue the fabric to the existing fabric with at least 1" overlap. Shrink with iron. Coat the new fabric with polybrush. This coat soaks through and melts with the pre-brushed polybrush for a good bond to the tank. Add tapes and finish out with the rest of the process. I have seen some videos where the fabric above the tanks flaps in the wind. Wonder if these are instances that the fabric is not attached to tank properly......

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrytex View Post
    The clear tape is interesting. Haven't heard of this, at least on the 4's and above. Like Eric mentioned, when i redid the tanks on my model 4, the process was coat the tops of the tanks with 2 coats polybrush and let it dry. Glue the fabric to the existing fabric with at least 1" overlap. Shrink with iron. Coat the new fabric with polybrush. This coat soaks through and melts with the pre-brushed polybrush for a good bond to the tank. Add tapes and finish out with the rest of the process. I have seen some videos where the fabric above the tanks flaps in the wind. Wonder if these are instances that the fabric is not attached to tank properly......

Very strange indeed. As my builders manual clearly states that you don't want the fabric sticking to the middle of the tanks (there's even a false rib on the tank that keeps the fabric off)

Re: gluing fabric to surface of the tanks... I'll throw this out - If your tanks have a perfectly smooth surface and are made & mounted such that the surface height matches that of the wing ribs, then gluing the fabric to it should be fine (probably done as Jerrytex described). If not smooth, and especially if the surfaces don't match the upper & lower elevations of the ribs, adding false ribs to the tank surfaces would seem to be the way to go, gluing the fabric to the false ribs & shrinking it the same as you do between ordinary ribs. That's what I had to do on my 7SS. Many of us mount the false ribs on small standoffs, matching the contour of the ribs & allowing the fabric to be laced to them with the proper technique, although I don't think that's absolutely necessary. I know of Mod. IV builders who laid down a layer of felt-like material over the tanks to insure that the fabric didn't stick to it or rub on it, and to insure a smooth surface. I also know that some (most?) do not even attempt to lace the fabric to those false ribs, and some even glue on "fake lacing" to maintain a uniform look.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

In regards to spraying the Poly-Fibre system, Seems everyone says "It's the easiest paint system to spray" followed by "you need a $1500 + professional spray system setup to get a good paint job"

I have a small air compressor, which I don't think would cut it, add to that I'd need larger hoses, a water separator, filters, regulator and a HVLP paint gun, this all adds up. another option was the Turbine HVLP system buts that over 2grand Canadian. Seems like a lot of money to spend for a small fabric patch.

I took a chance and went a totally different route. (Warning this may offend the Nay Sayers)

AMAZON Neu Master HVLP paint sprayer. $108 Canadian.

https://www.amazon.ca/NEU-MASTER-N31...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

This is a 600 WATT electric paint sprayer, super easy to clean, comes with 3 different nozzle sizes, has 3 spray patterns, and adjustable flow control

I built myself a test frame and covered it in fabric, After testing the different nozzles I determined the smallest nozzle (RED) sprayed best, and was actually very impressed with the results once dialled in

IMG_3493.jpg

I didn't take many pictures of the process, but I can ensure you this sprayer laid down the Poly-Brush, the Poly-Spray, and Poly-Tone extremely well.
    plus its super easy to Clean,

Heres a picture just after applying the first coat of Poly-Tone
    DSC_0345.jpg

Only thing I would do different, is recover the entire section of the wing, instead of just putting in a "patch", I have a few winkles under the tapes where to two fabrics where glued together, Overall however I'm extremely happy with the results,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 4Hummer; 10-30-2020 at 11:19 AM.

Wings back on tomorrow hopefully.

I bled the poly-tone to the edges of the wing and over to a tape line along a rib, (instead of just the patch cut out) And painted in the stripes.

DSC_0351.jpg

Looks good! And one thing about it, probably no one will look as close at it are you are right now. JImChuk