Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: DynaVibe Pros

Default DynaVibe Pros

I know the accelerometer goes as far forward and center on the engine as possible. All the pics in the manual show the tach mounted right next to or close to the accelerometer. I am wondering if there is an issue with mounting the tach on the side (like the pic). I am still in the 'waiting for paint to dry' phase so am doing stuff to get ready for farther down the road- like having the mounts ready for the DynaVibe.

Thanks

Gary

Tach.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

Default Re: DynaVibe Pros

Gary - preferred mounting of the transducer is perpendicular to piston movement. From the manual: "The accelerometer and optical tach are typically mounted on the top of the engine. The optical tach should be mounted approximately six inches behind the back of the propeller. The accelerometer should be mounted as far forward as is safely possible. This will provide maximum sensitivity. . . . . . . Mount an accelerometer mounting bracket to the bolt adapter and mount the accelerometer to the bracket. The optical tach bracket can be installed under the bolt or at a different location. Position the optical tach such that the beam projects onto the back of the blade or spinner back plate. . . . . . . . . . . . . . The accelerometer is mounted vertically, perpendicular to piston travel."

For what it is worth, here's how I did mine.

Prop balance set up 2.jpg

You probably saw all of the above in the manual but I've found I don't always see what is in the manual during the first read. (Just saying.)

Thanks Darrel. Yup I saw that and understood it (scary but I did). The only thing I can figure is that if I mount the optical tach on the side rather than the top, it changes the reference as to where I start measuring the number of degrees to place the weights. I like your install on the transducer. Think I am going to copy that one. You got it far forward and on top which should give you the best info when you do the measurements.

Thanks again for the response.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Gary - I can't find my (really) old copy of the instructions and the most current set (on my computer) isn't clear on from where the weight mounting locations are determined but the data sheet suggests or at least implies the transducer makes the determination. ("Accelerometer is zero degrees") But the prop has to be rotated until the light is triggered. That tells me you can mount the tach where you wanted. See if you interpret the data sheet the same way. BTW - I got much better results after narrowing in on the answer thru ground tests and then flying the set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Whisky View Post
    Gary - I can't find my (really) old copy of the instructions and the most current set (on my computer) isn't clear on from where the weight mounting locations are determined but the data sheet suggests or at least implies the transducer makes the determination. ("Accelerometer is zero degrees") But the prop has to be rotated until the light is triggered. That tells me you can mount the tach where you wanted. See if you interpret the data sheet the same way. BTW - I got much better results after narrowing in on the answer thru ground tests and then flying the set up.
    That's my plan Darrel. I guess I could call the company and ask the question too but you're right - my interpretation is that I could mount on the side as long as I use that position as the zero point for determining the weight location.
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    That's my plan Darrel. I guess I could call the company and ask the question too but you're right - my interpretation is that I could mount on the side as long as I use that position as the zero point for determining the weight location.
    I had mine off to the side and used that position as the zero point. Worked like a charm!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    I had mine off to the side and used that position as the zero point. Worked like a charm!
    Thanks Brett. Appreciate the input. It's that "Enquiring minds wanna know" thing.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning