Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Covering rudder attach bolt access holes

Default Covering rudder attach bolt access holes

I am concerned about the three rudder attach bolt access holes. With the rudder centered they are open to the slipstream. With hard left rudder they are dramatically open to the slipstream. Has anyone figured out how to cover them without making access to the rudder attach bolts too inconvenient?
    Maurice
    Series 7A, TD,912S, 72" IVO medium, building

Default Re: Covering rudder attach bolt access holes

Maurice, I've seen some very nice aircraft that have clear plastic over the openings. Some have been external plastic covers retained with small screws and some look like transparent tape put over the openings. Lets you see the bolts are in place on the rudder during pre-flight inspections and keeps air, water, insects ect. out of the rudder. That being said I've never heard of damage to a rudder from slip stream during flight. At cruise speeds we just do not use large rudder imputs that would expose the openinigs to slip stream damage.
    I do not have "covers" over my rudder openings but maybe some that do will post a photo or two showing their solutions.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Re: Covering rudder attach bolt access holes

Mo,
    We used clear decals on ours.. Seen some that have made nice covers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"