Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Have I Been Kreemed?

Default Have I Been Kreemed?

I took this photo through the filler neck on one of my wing fuel tanks. Is this what Kreem sealant looks like?

Inside Fuel Tank.jpg

I definitely plan to wash the tanks out before using them, but is this all I need to do to make the tanks usable? Assuming this is Kreem, is the stuff OK with both auto fuel and 100LL?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Default Re: Have I Been Kreemed?

Eric, it doesn’t look like any of the Kitfox tanks with kreem I’ve seen over the years. Usually it is brown and most times with age it looks like the surface of a dry lake bed with lots of cracks throughout. Likely several folks on here who have seen more examples of tanks where kreem was used than I’ve seen.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Eric, my KF5 serial number is 94120078, kitted in December, 1994. I have the original tanks but, I thought I might be able to use high octane auto fuel so, I bought new tanks from the factory. I have since decided to only use 100LL so, this won't really contribute to the question you pose. But, since I still have the original tanks, I got one of them down from the rafters of the shop and investigated the interior. Below are some pics I took. The first pic was straight down, the second is angled toward the rear and toward the first internal bulkhead and, the third is angled toward the outboard (wingtip) bulkhead. It does not look like time has affected the Kreeme coating. I probably could have just used these but, water under the bridge.
    20201021_092421.jpg20201021_092503.jpg20201021_092430.jpg

P.S. if anyone were to need a set, these are available.
    Maverick

This is very interesting. Maverick's photos don't look much like mine at all. They show a lot more of the fiberglass/resin color, much like what DesertFox4 described, while mine look a lot more like the sealant. I'm beginning to think that the first owner of my plane may have applied a second layer of sealant before he installed the tanks. I need to contact him about some missing parts anyway, so I'll ask that question. I just hope he remembers...
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Circa 1995...this is what my tanks looked like. They were sloshed, poorly. Your's look better than mine.

RH Top.jpg

I ended up peeling off the top of the tank and cleaning out the sloshing compound. You can see the left tank with the top removed next to it. The flakes were between potato chip and corn flake size with a few the size of a rabbit pelt. I still have the right tank to repair. My winter project.
    “I wish I knew now as much as I thought I knew when I was 18”

Building Kitfox 5 (25 yrs and counting)
    0-200
    A&P, ATP

Quote Originally Posted by N14ND View Post
    The flakes were between potato chip and corn flake size with a few the size of a rabbit pelt. I still have the right tank to repair. My winter project.
    I had whole potatoes in mine along with the chips.

120997744_10158301674614927_2415011807340350906_o.jpg

121011380_10158301675069927_3693460663455811795_o.jpg

I guess this is what happens when the Kreem fails and ethanol gets ahold of the resin.

Have an ongoing thread here: https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...ank-repair-DIY

That looks like fried chicken skin!! Or my grandson's dried fruit rollup.

0-200
    A&P, ATP

After cleanup of my tanks I reinforced the ribs with epoxy flox. The my tanks were polyester resin so a good scuffing with 150 grit the epoxy adheres fine. ( I used Jeffco (now Rhino Linings 9700) the stuff Lancair, Cozy, EZ's, Glasairs uses in their tanks. You can buy it by the gallon. I bought mine from Rhino directly, but California Power Systems sells it by the gallon. Has doubled in price since I purchased it. I have instructions for use if anyone has to go that route. My advice is to sand it, clean it, mix it, work fast (no fiddling with it) and let it dry...repeat. I have pictures somewhere.

0-200
    A&P, ATP