Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wing tip and oratex users question

Default Wing tip and oratex users question

First question for the oratex users, do you or did you lap the oratex over and back under the end of the last wing rib cap strip then rivet on the metal wingtip mount or cut off flush on cap were wing tip touches?

In the 2nd pic it shows an 1/8'' gap for the wingtip, how much did you leave ?

Last question, in the red pic I would like to rivet the metal on and run the oratex over the metal and under the wing tip, then rap the wing tip with oratex to end with what you see. Do you think oratex will do this? or do I need to plan to cut off flush?
    Thanks for any thoughts for a zero time oratex user.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kitfox Pilot; 10-12-2020 at 11:41 AM.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Default Re: Wing tip and oratex users question

I installed the fabric onto the wing after having pre drilled and dimpled the wood capstrips. Fabric wrapped around the capstrip. I then installed the metal strip. Use a solder iron tip to melt out the fabric over the dimpled holes. To cover up the rivet heads I put a two inch pinked tape on over them. I am aware of someone installing Oratex onto the entire engine cowl so it is doable. You will need to plan ahead for drilling the wing tip to account for the spacing needed to accomodate the fabric thickness.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks Eddie. I wish they would video that cowl job, that will be something if they can do that. I know the method you did is in the book to be used with the older covering but I was hoping to put my rivets in and fill or sand then just cover all the way under the tips and yes I would have to allow some for the covering. I finally got my tips straightened out to fit just need to drill the 4 inch apart mounting holes but they need to be in the right place. I'm afraid of getting it too tight because I didn't know where or if the oratex lapped under. thanks
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

We just cut it flush to the end. I would not recommend wrapping around the end. Glue it then take a brand new rzr and cut it flush to the end after shrinking it. . Looks the cleanest. We did not use any finish tape. Wing tip is also covered in Oratex. With good prep and gluing it to cap strips it’s not coming off without damage to the cap strip.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

So you covered your rivets first and only pass?
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

Get everything drilled and cleacoed into place. Once the wingtip is all drilled and set then remove and cover. After covered and shrink, then rivet the aluminum bar stock in place for the wingtips. Here is the best pictures I could find. I used a solider iron from harbor freight to burn the holes slightly for the rivets.

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Yep, Harlan that is what I'm doing as well. I tried wrapping around the edge yesterday and its too thick to match what I predrilled prior to covering. I cut it flush and sealed the end with glue to stop any peeling. It's not going anywhere.
    S7 STi O-320 currently flying

Quote Originally Posted by Denalifox View Post
    Yep, Harlan that is what I'm doing as well. I tried wrapping around the edge yesterday and its too thick to match what I predrilled prior to covering. I cut it flush and sealed the end with glue to stop any peeling. It's not going anywhere.

Thanks Lauran, I was a little concerned about it unwrapping.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

Dustin's photo, showing Oratex cut flush to the rib and the metal strip showing, is how I did mine. My wing tip is painted to match the Oratex red. For some reason I decided to paint the metal strips a flat black. The wing <> wing tip seam isn't perfect and the black metal shows through the gap. A some point I might paint the strip red. More likely, I will stop noticing.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I was planning to, after the wingtip was installed, to cover the seem with 2" finished tape. For inspection I was told you can heat the finishing tape, 250f I think, and it will come off before the fabric will release. I to was worried about the edge peeling, but with good prep work, 2 coats of glue, and installing the fabric correct, its not coming off. After wingtip was reinstalled you can barely see the rivets and I don't mind the looks of the screws so I opted no finishing tape.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!