Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vortex generators

Default Re: Vortex generators

Clean I get a definite break at 45mph. Full flaps it just sinks at 45mph. Didn’t really try any slower. I’m spinning an 80 in prop at 680 rpm at idle. At that time I had about 20 deg pitch in the prop. This prop throws a LOT of air, even at idle!
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Quote Originally Posted by desertdave View Post
    ... Your numbers are much greater than my standard wing with no VGs. Something doesn't jive here.
    Is that probably because his airplane is considerably heavier than yours?
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    Is that probably because his airplane is considerably heavier than yours?
    Who knows. I can't say I have ever seen an airplane that the flaps didn't lower the stall speed.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

I think I have an idea why this happens, similar on mine where I saw a large decrease in stall speed clean and one notch but very little with full flaps. My thinking is that if the VGs aren't far enough forward, the airflow separates before reaching them at the highest angle of attack (full flaps), but they are very effective at the lower angles where they are in front of the separation point. On the standard wing, as I said above you can only put them so far forward.

I'm guessing you have a very forward CG. Are you running out of elevator? Adding flaps definitely gives a down pitching moment and makes it harder to hold your nose up.

Do you have the elevator trim assist spring? If so it might be good to take it out temporarily so you can feel the actual pitch forces.

FYI I have a forward CG too, but my plane is not as heavy. I am typically at 1200 to 1250 lbs flying weight. Each notch of flaps on mine decreases my stall speed by 3mph. At GW mine stalls at 49/46/43 mph. No VGs.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

the effect of the Laker leading edge should be showing up in how one measures the chordline for VG's, that doesn't seem to be taken into account in these random performance numbers so how can we compare? does the factory spec sheet help out there with some kind of baseline? (pardon me but I'm back with model IV wings)

and I would like to bring emphasis back to what was said earlier in this thread, VG's bring an extra factor of safety in the flight speed envelope ... to take that one step further, other pilots have shown that turning base to final while dropping airspeed has been shown to produce stall spin situations ...

and my take-away from this thread? nice to hear VG's on the horizontal being praised, a timely reminder for where I am in the rebuild ... this winter will be ideal for installing those ... and that would be going with the idea that it would provide the best effort / benefit ratio for flight control feedback / improvement ...