Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: DAR or not

Default DAR or not

What should i do. I bought this kf-2 from a guy who said he had the logs .When i got to his house 12 hour drive he said they are at his work
    he would mail them. I have not seen them . I talked with him about four
    weeks ago he said he would mail them . Plane is about 40% done i was going to take out all controls and go back over all the work and take photos and log all the work and paint the fuselage. Wing are about 20%
    i need to put all the rib brace in and wing tanks and more. Can i do this
    with the plane being 40% and just log all my work and get the N # ?
    Are do i need to get a DAR to go over it as i build ? This is all new to
    me i was told if it not over 50% i can make my own logs and will be fine.

Thanks Brian

Default Re: DAR or not

personally ..if you had planned on going all over the parts ,..that's what I would do,..because ..redoing it ..your basically doing it,..to have a DAR come and look at each stage ..hope your wallet is thick some charge as much as $500.00 a visit,..if your local DAR doesn't charge for pre inspections then your good ,..best to find someone that is in your local EAA to go ver any work that has been done prior to DAR inspection,..get plane completed ..all documents done and sent in at least 3 months prior to final inspection,..if your using an other then certifed aircraft engine ..you've got to have already done the run times ,..there is a section in FAA reg's for this ,..can't remember the number,..it's time running the engine at different nose high config's /angles to ensure proper oil distrubution etc .

all you need is the bill of sale from the guy you bought it from and the sales slip from the manufacturer,..unless it's a model from 1989? (someone can post the exact year,..can't remember off the top of my head ),.. or back ..there is a link on the kitfox website for kits purchased from prior "kitfox" manufacturers that weren't completed to registration stage and the manufacturer's are no longer in business doing anything,.. and the proper channels on how to approach the FAA ,..in any event ..anything that you purchase to include the cost of the kit and future purchases,..make a file,..I'm sure that when you purchased it ,..the seller did not put on the bill of sale ..Sold at 40% completion status with ... . .. .. as the builder.
    There are other channels to take as well,..some are time consuming,..if the above path does not lead to the end result you desire.

good luck and enjoy your build ,..the model 2 is an awesome plane ,.I miss mine

Chase

Unhappy Re: DAR or not

Thanks Chase i did get a bill of sale from the guy i bought it from.My kit is #434 shiped out 6-15-90 iam going to go back over the plane and log all the work and hope that will do. I do not have the sale slip from kitfox.

hi wingman , i know your pain . i went thru the whole raindance last summer . it got a little discouraging at times . when i acquired mine the wings were completed and covered and painted as well as the fuselage and tail feathers . it had been started in 1991 and had three previous owners . i did have a builders log as such and pictures . it already had a n-number and that was a whole different ordeal getting the registration changed to my name . a month or so before i figured she would be ready to fly i started looking for a dar and contacted him to get an idea what he was expecting and how he worked . the dar i had chosen was out of town and i had some questions about how to fill out the application so i called the faa . really big mistake , by the time i was talking to HER i was convinced the only thing id be able to do with my airplane was take it to the end of the runway and burn it . as it turned out the dar was great to work with and it was all over in around three hours . seems he wasnt all that interested in the builders log , just that i had one . i think the big thing is that they want to make sure you did the building or most of it and not paid some roving band of people to assemble it for you . oh, there was the changing hands of $300.00 . she received the airworthiness cert and flew that afternoon . she was actually ready to fly a few days before the inspection but i resisted the urges to get it off the ground . only because im such a lousy liar , if the dar saw bugs on her and asked me about it .
    i think the best thing for you is to locate a local eaa and hang out with some of those guys who have probably gone thru the process . would be a lot less headaches.
    good luck
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Hey thats what i wanted to here. Iam going to start taking it apart today
    also i do need to be apart of the eaa . Iam glad yours turn out great .

i dont think id take too much apart unless to satisfy yourself of the quality of workmanship . the 50% thing is that not more than 50% was mfg at the kit factory not that you personally had to do 50% of the work. its probably more common than not that a kit isnt completed by the original purchaser so the dars deal with this all the time . if the wings arent complete and not covered their completion could be easily documented with pictures and in a builders log .
    i sorta have to agree with the 50% thing as it requires the kit owner to actually do some of the work . after the a/w cert is issued the owner is the manufacture and responsible for its care and feeding and your on your own .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

you mentioned not having the logs . the ship and engine logs dont start until the dar makes his entry and you make an entry that the airplane was completed per bla bla . so thats not a big deal in the scheme of things , you can get some at spruce . the builders log is a different thing , notes of dates and how much time was spent working on that item that day . as to how detailed you get is up to you . they do come in handy for reference later in your build to go back to see what you did or how you did it . the more pictures you take the better for your later use , digital pics are cheap , also for later reference
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I was told by EAA that their is no reguirement to keep track of how much time you take to build your project.
    Jim
    Series 5 0-200
    21D MN