Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Looking for kit dimensions

Question Looking for kit dimensions

Hi all,

I only have a small garage available to build my potential kitfox in. I have access to a larger space to do final assembly, but if possible I'd like to do a lot of the individual part build work at home in my garage. The larger space is a good 15-20 minute drive out. So here's my question to you all:

1. What are actual lengths of both the individual STi wings and the fuselage without the firewall forward kit and motor mounted?

Baed on the website at https://kitfoxaircraft.com/aircraft-kits/, the wingspan is 32ft and the cabin width is 43in, so per wing that would come out to about 14ft2in.

Final length is listed as 19ft8in, but it's hard to find numbers for the rudder and rotax motor + mount lengths.

Could anyone run a tape measure past their frame and wing and post the numbers here?

2. If I order the STi kit with the factory pre-rig option, would I be able to build a significant portion of the fuselage and wings separately, without needing to have them attached to each other? The manuals at https://kitfoxaircraft.com/builders-manual/ make it look like that's possible, but I'd like to hear from people who've ordered this kit how often they had to attach & remove the wings as part of the build process.

Thanks,
    Dennis

Default Re: Looking for kit dimensions

Quick reply without measuring. Wings are about 13'6" without tips. The fuselage is just under 15' without the rudder and engine mount. Maybe someone else can give exact numbers.

It is doable in a single bay garage until you want to put on the wings for rigging. I was able to install the rudder or engine mount, but not at the same time.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

That's hopeful. With the shelving I have installed at the end of my garage, I currently have about 17ft of length and about 10ft of width. I have a driveway in front of the garage I cann pull it out into if I need some more space.

Where do you store your wings when you're working on the fuselage?

I’m in Puyallup. You could come over if need be to see exactly what it is. Just helped another guy spend his money on a kit. Jim
    Starfox

Quote Originally Posted by dmarinus View Post
    That's hopeful. With the shelving I have installed at the end of my garage, I currently have about 17ft of length and about 10ft of width. I have a driveway in front of the garage I cann pull it out into if I need some more space.

Where do you store your wings when you're working on the fuselage?
    I was able to lean my wings against the wall. Your place may be a little different, but they only take up about one foot that way. I was only able to work on one thing at a time, but nothing beats having it right there at your house.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    I was able to lean my wings against the wall. Your place may be a little different, but they only take up about one foot that way. I was only able to work on one thing at a time, but nothing beats having it right there at your house.
    How heavy are they? I could easily mount a few posts on the wall for the main spar to rest on and have both of them hang above each other, assuming they're not going to rip the wall apart. :-)

Can you move them around by yourself, or do you need a second person for that?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeDay7 View Post
    I’m in Puyallup. You could come over if need be to see exactly what it is. Just helped another guy spend his money on a kit. Jim
    Definitely interested in that. I live less than an hour away, so I could easily combine this with other trips. What's the best way to coordinate with you?

Quote Originally Posted by dmarinus View Post
    How heavy are they? I could easily mount a few posts on the wall for the main spar to rest on and have both of them hang above each other, assuming they're not going to rip the wall apart. :-)

Can you move them around by yourself, or do you need a second person for that?
    One person can easily move them around on the stand or saw horses. You defiantly want at least two people if you need to lift it up or hang it on the wall, etc. I considered hoisting mine up in my garage and almost dropped it as I experimented with ropes and pulleys. When you mount a wing on the airframe you need a minimum of 3, but 4 is better.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

You can pm me. My heated shop is smaller than a one car garage but ok.
    Starfox