Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Cloudy Fuel Level Hose

Default Cloudy Fuel Level Hose

Preparing to mount the wings and noticed the fuel level hose has a milky white, cloudy appearance. I seem to remember this coming up in the forum but cannot find a relevant post. Used the factory hose. Is there a better alternative or, once fuel is added, this isn't an issue?
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Default Re: Cloudy Fuel Level Hose

Mine did the same Carl. I rolled them around between my fingers to clear the fog off the inner wall then installed them. I haven't had any trouble with them since I put fuel in.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Ours did the same. Did not do anything, once fuel is in them it clears them up. Then they start to discolor from fuel. We bought some acrylic tubes and heated them. Worked great. Then we tested them in ethanol fuel for 2 weeks sitting in the sun and they became soft. Decided to use use stock ones and replace at annual if needed.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

The factory tubes are good for about two years (you can stretch it to 3) before they become so yellow its hard to see. Fairly easy to replace, but I wish a better alternative would show up.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I use Mogas ethanol free nearly exclusively; not sure what the tube discoloration life would be for those using 100LL.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    The factory tubes are good for about two years (you can stretch it to 3) before they become so yellow its hard to see. Fairly easy to replace, but I wish a better alternative would show up.
    Interesting, mine are 5 years since installation (20 since new) and still clear.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I wonder if it depends on how much they sit on the “ramp” in the sun? Cubcrafters uses glass, but I think I like plastic better. Would be a bad day if they broke.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Don't know what the factory uses in the kits now , but on my Series 5 I use clear tygon tube with little cork balls that I painted dark green with fuel proof paint. My tubes do get a bit cloudy but i can always see the cork balls floating in the tube. Also at annual when I fold the wings I found a heat gun with a low temp setting clears the tubes up . I usually change them out every couple years. I would be very wary of substituting the tygon with acrylic or anything untested. Years ago the skystar kits used a plastic tube and they always failed and you can imagine the mess in the cockpit not to mention the danger if this happened in flight. Bruce N199CL

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    Interesting, mine are 5 years since installation (20 since new) and still clear.
    You're running 100LL aren't you? I run MOGAS. Mine are turning dark after 2 years.