Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you use your parking brake?

Default Do you use your parking brake?

Hi guys,

Ashely and I are super excited about our kit which is just around the corner. We're just trying to go down the list of add-ons and trying to figure out how useful the parking brake would be for us. I've never HAD to use a parking brake in the Cessna trainer planes I've flow so far, and I've been told not to use them on the ramp, just in case ground crews need to move your plane.

So my question is, do you use your parking brake? How useful is it and what are the situations where you are finding the value in having this?

Secondly, I've seen a post or two about upgraded brake calipers (as well as non factory options). Curious about these in reference to the above and what you guys find useful/important.

FYI tire wise, its a tail wheel config. We'll be sticking to some cheeper (smaller) tires until we get proficient in the plane but after that, I'm hoping we'll be putting on the ABW 26s.
    Aaron & Ashley
    Newbie pilots working towards our PPL. Kitfox ordered (OSH19)!
    Corvallis, OR

Default Re: Do you use your parking brake?

Love the parking brake and use it often. Sloped ramps are no issue anymore. In my model 4 I used to have to jump out while holding onto the Kitfox to quickly get a chock down so my airplane would stay put. With my Grove brake system and Grove parking brake, I can go to full power ( 100 hp Rotax) without any creeping forward. I was very conscience of every oz. of weight I added to my Kitfox during it’s build. The parking brake was worth every oz. it added to my empty weight which was not many.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Agree with DF4; I also use mine very frequently, such as during a quick stop somewhere where it is somewhat windy, but not windy enough to require a full tie-down. The parking brake gives me confidence to leave it somewhere for a while in a moderate wind. It also really anchors it down with a full tie-down in heavier gusty winds and helps prevent a lot of tugging on the tie-down ropes. Well worth the few extra ounces/dollars and is quite easy to install.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I don't have one but will add one in the future. Definitely a worthwhile feature in my book.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

I put the parking brake in my Avid Flyer when I rebuilt and find myself using it on nearly every start. I often reach in and push on one brake with my hand, and set the parking brake. That keeps the plane in place while I'm doing other things. I do have my own private strip, so me walking away from my plane may be a bit different then at an airport, but when I rebuilt my Kitfox 4, there was no doubt that it was going to have parking brakes. And so will every other plane I rebuild or own. The last parking brake I bought, I got off of barnstormers for $25 and a rebuild kit is only about 20. Haven't needed to put it in though. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use mine all the time too. When you are back country flying you don't always have a flat place to park. A parking brake is really handy here. I also use it when refueling. I step on the tire and top of the gear leg, that way I don't need a ladder to refuel (this works on a tailwheel KF).

I had a friend almost loose his Avid Magnum down a 50' hill at Weatherby because he didn't have a parking brake and he didn't use chocks that day. The plane rolled backwards on its own. Fortunately it turned 90 degrees because the nose wheel pivoted. This happened as we walked back from the river to our planes and we were totally shocked. If it had gone another 10' backwards it would have been down by the river, and he would had rode home with me. Imagine if this happens when you are out on your own at a remote airstrip. BTW my plane was chocked with the parking brake on.

I always carry a chocks in the plane. Chocks are extra insurance because I don't completely trust the parking brake if I am going to walk away from my plane. A good example is this one (Soldier's Bar, Idaho). You can't see it, but there is a chock on one of the wheels and the parking brake was on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Awesome picture Phil! I have a new respect for those that fly the Idaho backcountry after just returning.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

There is another cool thing about the parking brake; If you get out of the plane and then decide to use the parking brake (or you forgot to set it), you don't have to get back in to step on the brakes, just reach in and move the parking brake handle to the ON position, then reach down and press the toe brakes by hand and they will lock with enough force to hold the plane in most circumstances. This works because the parking brake has check valves in it to allow flow TO the calipers but not back OUT. I use this feature more often than I like to admit.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

They say you learn something every day. Well maybe if you pay attention at least. I didn't realize I could set the brakes up like you mention. I'll have to give it a try. Usually I just do one side, and pull the knob to lock the brake. Thanks for the tip! JImChuk

Like others, I use it all the time. The ramp by our fuel farm has a decent slope. Think about trying to hold the toe brakes while you twist 180 degrees to fish out a chock from the baggage area. (Hopefully it's still up front where you left it?) Then you have to release the brakes and get a foot on the tire to keep it from rolling while you get out and get the chock in. The minimal cost and installation effort of the parking brake is worth it. Honestly, it probably should just be a standard part of the kit.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS