Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you use your parking brake?

Default Re: Do you use your parking brake?

I use mine very frequently too.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    They say you learn something every day. Well maybe if you pay attention at least. I didn't realize I could set the brakes up like you mention. I'll have to give it a try. Usually I just do one side, and pull the knob to lock the brake. Thanks for the tip! JImChuk
    I tried setting the parking brakes as was suggested, that is, pull the brake knob, and then push the brakes one at a time from the outside of the plane. It works just fine. Thanks again for the tip. JImChuk

Post Re: Do you use your parking brake?

Very grateful for the feedback! Heather @ Kitfox suggested that we get this upfront as it would be more difficult to install later, and we were just trying to understand if this would be something that we would want. Clearly it is something we'll want to do!

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    There is another cool thing about the parking brake; If you get out of the plane and then decide to use the parking brake (or you forgot to set it), you don't have to get back in to step on the brakes, just reach in and move the parking brake handle to the ON position, then reach down and press the toe brakes by hand and they will lock with enough force to hold the plane in most circumstances. This works because the parking brake has check valves in it to allow flow TO the calipers but not back OUT. I use this feature more often than I like to admit.
    Jim et. all, how exactly does the parking brake work? I was under the impression that it just acted as another brake cylinder but seems like I might have a misunderstanding on this. Is there any significant force on the parking brake toggle itself to engage/diengage? Any concerns with it ending up in the park position/being bumped?
    Aaron & Ashley
    Newbie pilots working towards our PPL. Kitfox ordered (OSH19)!
    Corvallis, OR

The knob/lever controls a selectable check valve. As normally used, the pilot applies pressure with the pedals, then pulls the lever to lock that pressure in the lines with the valve, holding the brakes. To release, press the pedals and move the lever to off.

As someone else pointed out, the valve only blocks flow in one direction, so it can be turned on before pressure is applied. That feature, while handy on the ground, has potential to cause a mishap. If the lever is accidentally pulled on in flight, the brakes will hold any pressure you apply after landing (or before, which would be worse). Something that unusual might be hard to immediately recognize and correct. It's probably not a bad idea to include parking brake lever position in your final approach scan/checklist.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Eric, that potential problem you mentioned is exactly why the parking brake lever is mounted way up front on the top of the console. In that position I cannot even reach it with my shoulder harness on, and it is clear out of the way of being accidentally kicked. It takes a very deliberate motion to turn it on or off.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Mine is in a position far forward on the center council that is practically “impossible” to apply or bump inadvertently, same as Jim.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Good point, guys. I made my comment based solely on how it works, rather than considering where it's mounted. Putting it out of reach under normal flight conditions certainly mitigates the problem.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Mine is mounted on the back side of the seat truss, like I showed in the picture I posted of it. It is very much out of the way there, actually the knob is a bit hard to reach with my fingers, and where it's located, I'll probably never kick it, actually the way it works, you have to pull the knob forward to set it, pushing it back releases the parking brake. JImChuk