Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rotax and Fuel

Default Re: Rotax and Fuel

Thanks for the heads up with the wing tanks Chuck.

I have my wings assembled to the point of loading the tanks into the wing bays and installing the droop tips. Good timeing.

Guess I will advertise my original tanks that fortunately never got installed. Maybe someone will have use for them.

Sounds like you have your project handled.

Mark - Kitfox III #1050

could you have gotten away with just cutting the fabric around the tank, removing the tank, and then after installing the tank put new fabric over the tank and than overlap the old fabric and than paint. That is with using MEK on the old fabric and cleaning it to bare fabric first.

That is of course you already have the 13 gal tank installed. I'm thinking of replacing my tank with the newer.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

steve, thats basically what i did with the fabric , only i had to go one rib outbd to get to the brace and relocate it . the fishing line didnt work so well cutting the old tank loose , had to go to .020 safty wire which worked good . if i should decide to change the other tank , it will definately go faster . i have been taking some pictures , if anyone is interested , ill post them on a new thread when im done
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

mark ,lucky you not having the tanks installed , except of course the $$$ to replace the tanks . another thing you might consider is installing the short round wing tips as opposed the droop tips . although not sure if the round tips are available for the undercamber wing . also , i think , the flaperon/flap controls can be upgraded to the differential controls used on the model IV . they sure are fun airplanes when they are done
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Chuck, I think I have an extra couple of brackets for the drag braces, left over from when I changed my tank. You can have them if you want.

Scott

Dang it ,..you guys got me having them warm and fuzzy feelings with all the Comradery going on,..just proves the kitfox forum members are a great bunch of guys,..glad I'm a part of it,..ok enough of the mushy stuff,
    better click the submit button before I decide not to post ,..ya'll are gonna think I'm a ole softie ha ha

Chase

scott, i appericate the offer but i beleive the angle on the fittings will have to be custom made since im moving the brace from between two bays or three ribs and now it will go across just one bay or between two ribs . if the angles are correct on the fittings you have , that would be great . ill be going to the flying b today and finish up a few things , if its unclear what im doing , ill post some pics
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

ya chase , aint it great
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Chuck - Regarding my Mod.III, I am convinced that the ethanol issue is not going away, so since I am in a remote location, better safe, huh.

Also, would the upgrade from Mod. III, flaporen/flap controls, to the Mod. IV version control, be a noticeable enough difference to spend the money. And, do you know if this option was a safety feature?
    thanks, Mark

mark , you are correct , the ethanol thing isnt going away it may even get worse . out here on the left coast the gas ****s have their way and weve lost almost all our alki free gas stations . so changing the tanks in my opinion is the way to go , unless you intend to use avgas only and contend with the avgas side affects .
    as for the control changes im not sure what the differance is other than its an improvement . you could start another thread and inquire what the differences are . there are plenty of poeple that fly IIIs or have flown them . i have seen it and its a different monkey motion but never flew one that had it .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa