I just purchased new factory made lift struts this summer, the original model III struts had wood fairings which brought about their demise. The evidence was water enters at the jury strut connection, then it's trapped and rots out the wood at the lower end of the strut. The connector between the lift strut and the jury strut was aluminium, so it was corroded even worse than the steel lift struts.
But onto the fairing topic. Having canadian dollars, the factory PVC option seemed ... hard to justify. The old wood fairings could not be salvaged 100%. The local building supply that specializes in interior finishing had some oak trim that almost replicated the fairings, just some table saw, router and scarfing the joints required. In that process now, and too bad I didn't contact my RC model friend for assistance in hot wiring foam .. but then you need to protect the surface ... not impossible, just more work and more products and more weight.
For the connection between the lift and jury struts, the plan is to build an exterior fitting that will not require penetrating the fairing - some steel (same material as the jury strut !) custom bent it should spread out the load path quite nicely ..