Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Model IV engine options

Default Model IV engine options

Hello to all of the Kitfox Family! After having owned a kitfox IV since 1993 I have never stopped loving this great little plane. For the past 22 years i have been flying mine on floats. First on full Lotus and now on Czech amphib 1150's. With the 912s i'm pretty impressed with the performance it provides. The only area which i would like to improve on is a little more juice under the cowling for the high altitude lakes here in B.C. So I thought i would open the floor here on the forum to anyone who would like to put their input on my idea, good or bad. Does anyone think it would be possible to put a 915is on a model IV?? I realize the extra weight and moving things around to keep the CG in the right place, making an engine mount, cowls etc, would this an interesting project. Any input or advise would be muchly appreciated.

Robin

Default Re: Model IV engine options

I would consider the edge performance 912 before I do 915. There engine makes more power than 915 and weighs the same as a 914. Would be cool to see if you could fit that on a 4, that would be a rocket. Plus Jason @ badass powersports is in alberta so not a far hike for you.

Ok thx for your input!

Just a thought about a another path.

A Zipper Big Bore kit in your 912S would get you more power and not increase your complexity one bit. Cost would be so less. Virtually no weight increase and maybe a slight decrease depending on which horse power upgrade kit you chose. Located in Elko, Nevada.
    Some of our members have successfully gone this route.

Technical Calls:

Hal Stockman
    775-934-5714

http://zipperbigbore.com/1484-zipper-high-torque/- 105 hp kit

http://zipperbigbore.com/1484-zipper-high-power/- 114 hp kit.

http://zipperbigbore.com/1622-high-power/- 120 hp. Kit

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thx for your suggestions with Mr. Hal Stockman. Don't know if i had some bad luck but I did try the 114hp big bore a couple years ago and 16hrs into it she dropped a valve through #3 piston and blew up. This is kinda why the 915is is of interest to me. Rotax proven reliability! thx!

maybe some can comment on prop selection, what do you current have, and what about an in-flight adjustable pitch option?

A 915 with all of the needed accessories will be WAY too heavy for a model IV, IMO. Not to mention the engine mount and complete FWF will need to be totally reworked.

I would second the vote on a big bore kit, either from Hal or Edge Performance. (I have almost 500 hours on my Zipper 105hp engine with no issues at all)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I currently use a warpdrive which performs very well and is bullet proof on the water. Before i had a woodcomp inflight adjustable and believe it or not the warp out performed it. i really think a turbo is the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by atosrider View Post
    maybe some can comment on prop selection, what do you current have, and what about an in-flight adjustable pitch option?

Glad you are having great success with your big bore. I talked to kitfox factory and yes 915 is heavy for model 4 but no more than the Rotec. I may look and talk to the boys at edge performance and get their take on it and options. Thx!
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    A 915 with all of the needed accessories will be WAY too heavy for a model IV, IMO. Not to mention the engine mount and complete FWF will need to be totally reworked.

I would second the vote on a big bore kit, either from Hal or Edge Performance. (I have almost 500 hours on my Zipper 105hp engine with no issues at all)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom2 View Post
    Glad you are having great success with your big bore. I talked to kitfox factory and yes 915 is heavy for model 4 but no more than the Rotec. I may look and talk to the boys at edge performance and get their take on it and options. Thx!
    Edge has done several fuel injected 912 installations on model IVs. They have a good handle on it.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos