Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: how to tie the prop?

Default how to tie the prop?

What's the best way to tie the prop to keep
    it from spinning when trailering that won't
    mar the prop or the finish on the cowling?

Default Re: how to tie the prop?

The computer wants me to write at least ten words. Here's a picture worth 1000 words.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How fast do you tow at to get the prop to windmill? !

Unhappy Re: how to tie the prop?

Thanks that will work. Regarding road speed I haven't tried yet, getting my first Kitfox in a few weeks but other Rotax motors I've had will try to rotate slowly at 40-50. If i wasn't going 500 miles I wouldn't worry Thanks a bunch!

Good luck with the new aircraft. I think they are utterly fantastic machines and I wouldn't be without mine.

Those who haven't owned one don't realise what they are missing out on. Those that do own one seem to become rather obsessive about them. Those that USED to own one always talk fondly of them.

I have towed mine 100 if not 1000's of miles at highway speeds and never tied my prop, and it has never moved. What is your compression like? Would it be better to tie it horizontal to avoid rock chips? Is it towed on a trailer or on the aircraft wheels? If it is on the kitfox tires I think rocks or stuff is more likely to kick sideways off the tires than straight back, for what its worth.

I didn't realize my prop was turning when towing for the first few hundred miles. I had a three blade prop then and every time I looked in the mirror the blade was in the same spot. Then one day my wife was riding with me and she said "The prop is turning". I had to watch in the mirror a while to see it. At 45 mph it would rotate one blade then stop a few seconds then do it again and so on.

Engine compression is 120 pounds, but the pistons are small (503 Rotax) so not a lot of force needed to turn the engine over. The gear box is a 3:1 which makes it harder to wind mill the prop than say a lesser ratio or direct drive. I guess some wind mill on the trailer and some don't.

I tow it on a flatbed trailer and the prop is inside the bed so no worry about rocks.

Tom Jones
    Attached Images Attached Images

mine did the same thing,..it was a 582 ,..2 pistons keeping a prop from spinning while trailering ( 45mph or faster) is asking allot ,..especially a 3 blade,..I tied the high right blade so it wouldn't spin, it will want to spin backwards..took a wool sock over the tip put a nut inside the sock and tied it near the opening so it wasn't exposed ..basically making a sack in the sock that the nut was in ..then tied a rope around the nut s-ck,. ( excuse the terminology ha ha ) and down to the trailer,..no rope scars or marks at all.
    I suppose if one was handy ..they could take a prop protector and modify it with something stronger then the loop that comes on some of them to withstand a road trip as well and it would propably look a little better too.

Chase