Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Leveling Question

Default Leveling Question

Hi all, at the risk of being snickered at for such a basic question: When the instructions call for leveling the plane in both latitude and longitude, what is the reference used for the longitudinal level, bottom of plane's frame?

A few followup questions; I purchased this plane in flying condition and am going through it and redoing the things that are not quite right. The elevator upwards deflection is supposed to be 39 degrees, I found mine at 28 degrees. So I had to re-rig this to the proper specs. (This gives me hope that my landings will be better going forward.)

So based on this knowledge I need to check the flap and wing rigging, so if anyone has any tips/hints I'd love to hear it. Any tips in using the 4' level and blocks? Do I need to make the flaperon holding fixer to check for proper rigging?

Thanks in advance. - Mark

Screenshot 2020-09-23 at 6.39.04 PM.png

Default Re: Leveling Question

The bottom of the frame under the seat is the plane reference for both lateral and longitudinal level; however, many of us have found the front and rear spar crossover tubes to be handier to use.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I did as Jim suggests.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Ditto - easier to get to and see while you are leveling.

Helping a fellow build a Kitfox and he is to the control rigging portion of the program. Aircraft tail goes up on a sawhorse, level on either carry through tubes for spars or firewall to lift strut carry through and lift strut carry through. Once that is doine, all the control throw measurements in the builders manual will be attainable?

You can check the flaperon deflection without it being up in the air.