Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prop Tape

Default Prop Tape

I have an IVOProp on my Super Sport. The original stainless leading edge tapes did not last long after my first flight, getting beaten up pretty badly from ground debris, especially from a particularly dirty ramp that I would visit. The tape would get punctures and tears surprisingly easily. So, I bought new stainless tape, applied it per the IVOProp instructions and soon thereafter had the same results.

After that, I went looking for an alternative tape to the stainless variety. I tried a few different tapes, with varying degrees of success, but none of them satisfactorily protected the prop blades.

I recently came across 3M 8681HS polyurethane protective tape. I bought some of that off of eBay, not expecting much based on my experience with other tapes. It is fairly thin, but apparently is very tough stuff. I have flown into many of the same places that beat the heck out of other tapes, but the 8681 tape has taken the abuse with no resulting damage. I have about forty hours on it so far, and it is looking nearly as good as when it was installed.

This (gray) tape looks good against the black IVOProp blades, and it's great not to have to apply super glue around the tape perimeter as IVO has you do with the stainless tapes.

20200602_140207.jpg
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp

Default Re: Prop Tape

Does that tape come with a paper back that you peal off to apply to the prop? Thanks, JImChuk

It has a clear plastic release liner covering the adhesive.
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp

If enough people were interested in using this tape, it would make sense for one person to buy a longer roll at a lower cost, and mail it to the interested parties. Anyone interested? JImChuk

The item number that I bought from eBay is 253181460719. It's $12.50 for a 2 inch by 1 yard piece, with a discount for larger quantities.
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp

I'm thinking about buying a larger amount. Is anyone interested in some 2 1/2" wide medium dark gray color? $10.50 per yard shipped. I would cut it in 1' pieces so I could ship them in an envelope. Send me a PM. If enough are interested, I'll get a roll. JImChuk

Wonder if thats the same tape they sell at the welding store? Me and L where just talkin about this the other day, for the tape between the prop sections for ur inspection tape to check if prop is comin loose, Ill have to check on that asap.

I don't think this would work on an IVO prop where you put it between the blades to detect movement. On the blade tips should be fine. I think it is probably to flexable to go between the blades to detect movement. JImChuk

Updating my post about the 3M 8681 prop tape:

The latest batch of this tape that I've purchased has been splitting at the blade tips where it wraps around the sharp edge. I'm not sure if is due to the age of the tape being sold on eBay. It's a shame, since the tape otherwise holds up very well and has great adhesion to the blade.
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp

Compared to how long of a time the Ivo supplied tape lasted, how long does this tape last ( the one that is splitting)? Would it still be a better deal or does it split pretty quick after the install?
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ