Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prop Tape

Default Re: Prop Tape

The first set of 3M 8681 tapes had about 100 hours on them before I noticed a nick in one that made me want to replace it. I had to order more tape, since originally I only ordered enough for three blades. After replacing that one blade's tape, I noticed two small splits within a couple of days.

My first set of stainless tapes lasted about 90 hours before they were beat up enough to replace them.

I might go back to one of the clear 3M tapes sold on Spruce, though they don't have the best appearance on the prop.

Also, I've wondered if my prop takes more of a beating than a taildragger's prop.
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp

One other note, in my quest to find the best IVOProp protection, I'm currently trying the leading edge protection tape sold by Pegasus Racing. It looks good and durable, but does not have adequate adhesion for a propeller. It tends to migrate outward along the blade.
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp

NASCAR races always have wrecks and in the repairs they use some kind of tape to make hoods, torn fenders, etc. stay on the cars. I don't recall the name of it but, I wonder if it might work if it is available. Just wondering.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

I had used 3M polyurethane protective tape on the leading edge of my wood props on my O-320 160 HP Lycoming for over 20 years - #8672, which is a clear, UV resistant, 8 mil. thick, 1" wide tape with a slow aging acrylic adhesive. It conformed nicely to the gradual leading edge curve when applied with a slight amount of tension. It saved a lot of wear & tear and nicks, as well as rain erosion. Kind of expensive, but great stuff. I never experienced slippage or movement after it was installed, but it could be removed without damage to the prop finish with a heat gun and a slow peel. I've found it useful for a lot of other application also, i.e. - protective layer between clamps or wire-ties and tubing. I found that the 1" width was sufficient to provide adequate leading edge protection when centered on the leading edge.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

The tape used in NASCAR is called Bear Bond. It is available but I don't know if they have a clear version.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bumsteer View Post
    The tape used in NASCAR is called Bear Bond. It is available but I don't know if they have a clear version.

Rick
    After reading up on this, Bear Bond appears to be too thick.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by bumsteer View Post

Rick
    Thanks for suggesting the name - couldn't find it!