Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Towing Question

Default Trailer Towing Question

Been reading through many towing threads piecing together information, just to be cautious figured I’d post and ask questions, new to aviation and buying my first Kitfox 4, it’s a 1050. Cant fly it home, itll be about 200 miles.

What’s the best setup for an open side railed trailer like the one pictured? Load it backwards, fold wings of course, empty fuel in the wings, can I get away with only ratchet straps? It’s not my trailer so fabricating metal or screwing blocks to the floor isn’t an option.

I seen you need to support the tail wheel, could I do this also with just ratchet straps? Is recommended speed 50mph or could you drive quicker? It’ll be behind a pickup, I would assume the pickup would divert allot of air away from the planes tail would it not?

F44EA5A1-CF0B-4302-8ED5-372545E90465.jpeg
    Last edited by itllBuff; 09-17-2020 at 10:54 AM.

Default Re: Short Towing Question

For sure you want to have gust locks on the tail surfaces so they don't flop around in the wind. Also wing braces are recomended, and empty fuel tanks. Support the tail from the cross tube just in front of the tail wheel spring. A lighter duty trailer is better then a real heavy duty one. Softer springs move with a lighter load, heavy ones will put lots of shock on the plane, like having no springs at all if they can't flex. JImChuk

Default Re: Trailer Towing Question

If towing forward, covering the Wing roots would be prudent

As mentioned, use the cross tube at the tail for your toe down. Preferably have the wings level, that means tail will be up. Highly recommend some flex to your tail support, not rigid. Either make something with springs or old tire or tube under the tail. Absolutely put braces from leading edge spar to base of strut attach on fuselage.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

I copied Josh Esser and mine did great going 12 miles on both surface streets and Highway for about 5 miles. Still nerve racking though. Look at "Esser's Build" post #459.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by ken nougaret View Post
    As mentioned, use the cross tube at the tail for your toe down. Preferably have the wings level, that means tail will be up. Highly recommend some flex to your tail support, not rigid. Either make something with springs or old tire or tube under the tail. Absolutely put braces from leading edge spar to base of strut attach on fuselage.
    seen a video where someone used the seat and base of an old office chair, I have one of those I can take the back off of, plus side it adjusts height! Lol. What speed you think would be okay with pulling it? Also I have no wing braces, havnt seen the plane yet to know how to fabricate some so it would be going without. I’ve seen people tow them without, not sure how crucial they are.

Appreciate all the replies by the way! Only thing I’m missing is wing braces, but hopefully that’ll be okay.

I just made a set for the Kitfox IV I am selling. I used 1/2" thin wall conduit. I didn't measure anything and made it to fit but here is how i did it.

1. Folded the wings and put a scrap of 2x4 between the vertical tail and the flaperon to provide some space.
    2. I then made the rear braces that install back by the tail.
      1. I cut a length of conduit of the appropriate length and flattened the ends using my very precise tube flattening tools.(A block of steel and a ball peen hammer.)
      2. I then drilled 3/16" holes at each end. I think it was about 17.5" center to center of the 3/16" holes but it was just marked on site
      3. I then tweaked the angles of each end in a vise.
      4. Dressed the ends with a grinder and file
      5. Rear braces done

3. I then made the front braces
      1. I cut a piece of conduit to 51 inches and flattened one end about 1" back
      2. I then bent the flat part in a vise so that it was parallel to the bottom of the spar tube when the bottom of the tube was placed in the crotch formed by the lower strut attach bracket and the lower longeron
      3. Drilled a 5/16" hole in the flattened part for a bolt placed through the spar attachment hole.
      4. Installed it on the spar and marked the bottom of the tube where it needs to be flattened. Note: It needs to be flattened far enough back so that the flattened part is flat all along the side of the strut bracket, not just where the hole is. This flattening is 90 degrees to the first flattened part.
      5. Placed the tube in position and marked the position of the lower hole
      6. Drilled the 1/4" lower hole. It will be pretty close to the edge of the flattened part in order for the tube to clear the longeron. You could bend the unflattened part of the tube a bit to get the hole farther from the edge, but on mine it seemed OK for what it is.
      7. Last part of the front brace for me was to make a bushing with a 5/16" ID to fit inside the spar for the bolt to slide through to prevent crushing when a bolt is installed and tightened through the tube.

That was basically all I did and it looks like they will work well. I didn't take any pictures and didn't see this post until I got home from doing this this evening.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Quote Originally Posted by itllBuff View Post
    Appreciate all the replies by the way! Only thing I’m missing is wing braces, but hopefully that’ll be okay.
    No way I'd tow without wing braces. I'd consider that THE most important thing.

Quote Originally Posted by GuppyWN View Post
    No way I'd tow without wing braces. I'd consider that THE most important thing.
    I agree. A hammer, block of steel, a cordless dril and a few drill bits and you can make a complete set in about an hour as I described above.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)