Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trailer Towing Question

Default Re: Trailer Towing Question

Quote Originally Posted by 109JB View Post
    I agree. A hammer, block of steel, a cordless dril and a few drill bits and you can make a complete set in about an hour as I described above.
    Really appreciate all the info above! Idk how easy it’ll be to follow without ever seeing the plane but I’ll attempt something, if the wing support is so important you’d think they’d build them into the Kitfox wing fold mechanic or sell braces lol.

Recognized the name, I’ve seen your Kitfox on barnstormers, nice plane!

For the series 7 at least, Kitfox does sell a wing transport kit. They aren't used that much because just folding the wing and putting the plane into a tight spot they are not required. Towing the plane is a different story. I throw my transport kit into the baggage compartment when I fly far from home. I Think of Trents engine out situation where the factory brought the kit out to him and placed the plane on a trailer. I don't have such friends so I figure I will be relying on a flat bed tow truck to get me to an airfield someplace. Without the kit I risk breaking something during the tow.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Be sure to put pillows/tubes or something between the horizontal stabilizer and the wings that would probably be ok
    if you take it easy. Anything more than a few miles and I would want some bean bags or something from the stabilizer
    to the floor something soft. With wings folded
    back, there is a LOT of weight placed on the tailwheel it will bend the fuse. a couple of feet in front of the stabilizer!!!
    Don't ask me how I know this. Model 4 1200.
    I almost forgot it might bend the tail wheel spring and tail wheel might go up and bend the rudder.
    Don't ask me how I know that either!
    Last edited by mkenm; 09-18-2020 at 06:39 PM.

Got asked a question about step 7 of my write up and decided to make a crude MS Paint drawing to illustrate what the bushing in that step is for.

Wing Brace.jpg
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Why would you tighten the bolt? I think most folks who use the factory transport kit just use the pin that is normally used in the front spar, and secure it with the safety pin cotter.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by 109JB View Post
    Got asked a question about step 7 of my write up and decided to make a crude MS Paint drawing to illustrate what the bushing in that step is for.
    ahh! Thanks! I see what you mean now my plan was to fill with washers or double nut the bolt so it can be tight but also slightly loose, appreciate it I’ll do that.

When I made up a set for the Kitfox out of conduit, I just took a short bolt and tightened to just the bottom of the spar. I have a set of factory made wing braces for the Avid Flyer. They are made to fit in the spar, and the pin is dropped down though the verticle tube of the wing brace. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Why would you tighten the bolt? I think most folks who use the factory transport kit just use the pin that is normally used in the front spar, and secure it with the safety pin cotter.
    My airplane has a bolt. Not a pin. Do as you wish but I will at least snug the bolt.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

SS7 O-200 Whirlwind