Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Next Airplane Project

Default Next Airplane Project

Considering a Kitfox as a next project. Looking for any real-world advice anyone is willing to provide.

The mission is low level flying and sight-seeing with a passenger, with occasional weekend camping trips to grass strips mostly within a 200 mile radius. Day VFR. Side-by-side seating. My wife and I like to have day-trip picnics at out-of-the-way places (that we currently hike to) so the ability to land and take off from unimproved locations is a plus.

I'm 6'4" and weigh 230 lbs. Most of my height is in my legs. My primary passenger (wife) is of average build, 5'10" tall and 145 lbs. We are 60 years old and in good physical shape. I've been a private pilot for ~15 years, and have flown a variety of small aircraft.

There are two Legend Cubs in my neighborhood, another guy flies a 1947 J-3, one guy flies a Zenith 701 and another who is building a Zenith 750. My next airplane needs to be in the same performance league (or better!) as my friends. I want to be able to do anything they can do, and go anywhere they can go, carry what they can carry, and keep up with them in the air.

I live on a residential airpark with a paved runway and a grass runway. I'm a Lifetime EAA member, and have built one previous airplane (a Zenith CH601), which I have been flying since 2012. I also own a Grumman Tiger which I fly regularly.

Also considering a Highlander, which seems to have a good reputation but which I know little about; as well as a Zenith 750 (which I am most familiar with). But the Kitfox has caught my attention as something I should learn more about, so here I am...

Grateful for any "Real World" advice for a tall guy like me. I know I'm probably being unrealistic in what I want versus what is practical and affordable, but I'm here to learn and maybe find out if there is a Kitfox in my future, or if something else makes better sense.

Thanks,

Patrick

Default Re: Next Airplane Project

The Kitfox is a great choice for the type of flying you listed here. This forum is packed full of information. If you take some time to search for topics like tall pilots, performance, cargo space, etc. you should be able to find answers to all of your questions.

The other thing you can do is to get a ride in a Kitfox with someone near you. If can ask here on the forum you will probably have get a reply within a couple days. Beware, one flight and you might be hooked.

My plane has a heavier engine, but I still have a useful load over 650#. That leaves 500# with full fuel for pax and cargo. The max baggage weight for the Model 5-7 is 150# as long as you can stay within CG. I have flown with two big guys and 60-100# of camping gear. The Kitfox can easily land on short runways with practice.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

The Kitfox would fill that mission very nicely.

I love my Model 4, but I would suggest holding out for a later model (5-7SS) for the increased cabin size and higher gross weight possibilities. They are, unfortunately, far more expensive than the earlier planes.

#BlameTrentPalmer
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

My brother and myself are both tall. 6'2" and 6'4". Wish the kitfox was a couple inches bigger. I would defiantly go for a ride in one and you and your wife both sit in one. It seemed big until the windshield and doors and seats where in. Then it seemed to shrink. I think my next plane will be a 4 seat cub.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

You'll have to slow down for your buddies!

Hi Patrick, I live a few miles north of FW. Based at 7T0. You are welcome to come by for a visit and sit in my airplane with your wife and see how it feels. Also Halterman Aviation in Sherman (KGYI) has a Kitfox he does training in. John can do transition training if needed.
    John Horn
    SS7 with Rotax 912iS

I am 6'4", 215lbs and I fit fine. For what you are describing sounds like it would work well. I agree with the other comments, series 5-7 is probably best. I am not familiar with your other options. Pretty easy to price out a kitfox from a factory order type situation. You could also keep an eye out for a project that someone is selling, depending on your preference.