Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Artex ELT 345 GPS/406/121.5 Slim kit Vs. Artex Elt 345 GPS/406/121.5 W/ Whip Ant. kit

Default Artex ELT 345 GPS/406/121.5 Slim kit Vs. Artex Elt 345 GPS/406/121.5 W/ Whip Ant. kit

I'm looking to replace the Ameri-King AK450 I foolishly purchased. On the recommendation of a fellow TeamKitfox member, I've settled on the Artex ELT 345. A problem with it is the size of the panel mount switch. I found, on Aircraft Spruce, a Slim kit that has a switch that will fit the hole in my panel the Ameri-King switch required. The difference between the Slim kit and the package that has the original Artex switch is about $200 more for the slim kit. Does anyone know why there is such a big price difference between these two packages? Is it just the switch or is there something else? Seems a little pricey for a different switch.

Thanks,
    Fred

Default Re: Artex ELT 345 GPS/406/121.5 Slim kit Vs. Artex Elt 345 GPS/406/121.5 W/ Whip Ant.

From what I can find it doesn't look like anything is different other than the switch size. It's just a 2 wire switch so there isn't much to it. I'm guessing you're paying for the convenience of not cutting anything, especially for those with a certified plane.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Default Re: Artex ELT 345 GPS/406/121.5 Slim kit Vs. Artex Elt 345 GPS/406/121.5 W/ Whip Ant.

Quote Originally Posted by tracstarr View Post
    From what I can find it doesn't look like anything is different other than the switch size. It's just a 2 wire switch so there isn't much to it. I'm guessing you're paying for the convenience of not cutting anything, especially for those with a certified plane.
    Unfortunately the remote switch isn't "just a switch". There is a circuit inside the switch and the polarity of the two wires matter. Ask my how I know. I have installed a few of the Artex-345 ELTs with the larger switch. One time I connected the wires backwards and it the remote didn't work. Thankfully it didn't fry the circuitry in the switch.

It doesn't make any sense why they are asking another $200 when the only difference is a smaller switch. I'm guessing Artex had lots of complaints about the switch size, which required a total redesign to pack the circuit into a switch 25% of the space.

The smaller switch is a great option if you are updating an older 121.5 ELT that currently has a small switch. On the installations I did the biggest challenge of the job was making a large hole in the instrument panel, this nearly doubled the time I spent installing them. Everything else was remove and replace in the existing spots.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Best I can tell, briefly looking at the adds in AS&S it appears that the slim version (more expensive) comes with mounting hardware, 6ft of Coax and the Connectors. Might explain the $$.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

The package that is $200 less has the same items, just a different switch.

FYI the 6' coax cable is the antenna cable.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I found an Artex ELT 345 Slim kit at Touch and Go Pilot Supply for $664.00 plus shipping to Phoenix ($687.03 total). Spruce is $785.94 for their slim kit and $578 for the regular one and, that includes shipping. Going with Touch and Go, it is $109 more than for the regular one and $98 less than the slim kit from Spruce. To not have to butcher my panel is worth the $109 more.

Fred