Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wing Root Fairings (Cuffs) - Need Clarification Please

Default Wing Root Fairings (Cuffs) - Need Clarification Please

Hi all,
    My first question to the group, although I've been learning a lot here for a while now.

I purchased a flying Series 7 project plane and have been working to fix up what is lacking and sub-standard. One of these items was missing wing root fairings. I purchased the templates from KF and printed them to the size specified in the properties of the PDF. But when I build them and try to fit them, they seem to be shorter than what I believe they should be.

So, a couple quick questions;
    • What are the dimensions supposed to be? I measure 8.5" long by 3 15/16" at the widest point based on the template I have.
    • The nut plates that need to be riveted to the underside of wing rib #1, based on the drawing it looks like it needs to be riveted on the cockpit side (inboard) of the rib. Is this correct?
    • How far up the rib from the leading edge should the rivet be position, and similarly how far on the bottom?

Any insights and pictures of this part installed would be appreciated. (I've found a few pics here, but would love to see different angles if available).
    Thanks - Mark
    Screenshot 2020-09-09 at 4.50.44 PM.pngcuff1.jpg

Default Re: Wing Root Fairings (Cuffs) - Need Clarification Please

I did mine per the template and ended up too short as well. I would suggest creating your own template with heavy cardboard. You just need to make it to fit your plane's wing & windshield.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Mine were short as well. My nut plate is so close to the spar on top that if I use a machine screw that is too long, it will screw right down into the spar. Not good. I suggest you place your nutplates where you want them and then use the same template but add the length that will get you to the distance needed to reach your nutplates. The nutplates will be on the inboard side of the rib.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks for that information, it makes me feel better that others have come across the same issues. Misery loves company. - Mark

Time for installing the cuffs will soon be here. Great info guys, thanks!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

If you do a forum search for wing root fairings , there are alternative ideas such as making some real nice fiberglass fairings that achieve a nicer fit and finish and are not hard to do. Bruce N199CL

I didn't have the template and just used some cardboard to make my own. Worked out well.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

I think card stock is easiest to make template. Then I used a piece of the laker leading edge. Covered it in oratex. Velcro-ed it in place. Easy peasy
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

-Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!