Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Jabiru 2200 generations 4 motor issues??

Default Jabiru 2200 generations 4 motor issues??

Just help my next door hangar friend retrieve his Mark 4 from small field short of Corona airport with locked up motor. Motor is the latest rendering of engines from Jabiru with 183 hours and is 14 months since install. Yea, John loves to Fly and would have been up to Johnson Creek if it wasn’t for covid this summer. Back to the motor! Upon removal of the valve covers only to find the number one cylinder leaking a little oil down exhaust pipe and those rocker arms are snug to push rods but #2 & #4 the pushrods were down into cylinder head not touching rocker arm. Cam breakage?? Roller lifter issues?? Couldn’t rotate prop more the 20 to 30 degrees ether way and as such wasn’t able to see enough with a borescope to see much. He is talking with Jabiru to see what’s-what and if they plan on taking care of engine.
    We all know the early issues with the Jabiru motors but anyone having trouble with new gen 4 engines.
    George
    Kitfox 7 flying

Default Re: Jabiru 2200 generations 4 motor issues??

Awe man, So glad to here John is well. He is a really nice guy. When I was deciding what plane to build I wandered around Corona airport and found John repacking his wheel bearings. He was very accomodating whith all the questions I had. He is fortunate to have a hangar neighbor who could help out George.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X