Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 14VDC Power Supply To Test Panel Electronics

Default 14VDC Power Supply To Test Panel Electronics

Still a long way till I have my kit but am looking at what I might need now so as not to have to wait later. My plan is to use the Garmin G3X on my panel and can see that there is a lot of configuration involved setting up the various indications and handshakes between other components. Are you all using the battery to power it up and then recharging that or are you using a 14VDC power supply? If you are using a power supply, how big (10A?) and who makes it?

Thanks in advance.

Geek

Default Re: 14VDC Power Supply To Test Panel Electronics

Check out Ham Radio Outlet or any other ham radio equipment site. They should have power supplies that not only have the amps but are good, stable, clean power sources.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

I have an EarthX battery so I needed a recommended charger anyway so I ordered this one with the built in option to power up avionics for long periods of time with clean power up to 8 amps. I’ve used that feature many times. Works great. https://earthxbatteries.com/shop/opt...attery-charger

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Thanks all. Like the charger that can work as a supply but also deals with the lithium battery. It's like a twofer.

G

Try looking at the archives at the Aeroelectrics list at Matronics.com. They had a thread on this discussion in the last year. If you are not yet familiar with the aeroelectrics list, it is a tremendous source for all things electric in airplanes. The main contributor is Bob Knuckles, he runs the Aero
    Electrics Connection at aeroelectrics.com website.

Ralph

I use a Tenma 72-7660 power supply for ground power to all the electronics. It is voltage and current limiting and will provide 10 amps @ 12 V. I also use it to trickle charge the 5600 standby battery, so it is connected to the aircraft when in the hangar. It is available at Allied Electronics, (formerly sold by MCM electronics, who was bought out by Allied). Cost is about $250-$300 . I bought when on sale for $150. It also will provide up to 30V at a lower current.

Not sure about lithium batteries if using them, but with lead-acid, AGM, etc you can simply use a standard battery charger that has enough current to keep up hooked to the battery. Older battery chargers simply kept the output voltage at 13.8V so that a lead-acid battery would not be overcharged. Even if the charger can't keep up fully, all that will happen is a discharge on the battery while doing your testing and then it will charge it back up. I have an old 6A and a 10A charger that are like that.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)