Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: pitot Tube recommendation/question

Default pitot Tube recommendation/question

Looking for some info on a pitot tube brand with an AOA port. I see that Dynon makes one as well as Garmin. Does anyone know if they are "universal" as far as working with other brands of electronics? I don't know exactly what avionics I am going to use so I'd like to install something with options. Or, at least rig the wing up so I have options. I was thinking of running 2 pitot lines to the area in the wing where the pitot mounts and then install a "mounting pad" that I could install a pitot afterwards or use the one that came with the kit if I go without an AOA.

Default Re: pitot Tube recommendation/question

My install manual for the Dynon pitot/AOA tube basically says the AOA functionality is specifically designed to work with Dynon and Advanced Flight Systems products and to not expect it to work with any other AOA system.

Rick

Jerry - I think you are on the right track to run two lines - give yourself the option of installing a probe of choice at a later date. I did what you are proposing (installed a mounting plate) for that very reason. Someday if I feel the need, I'll build and install an AOA. (My GRT EFIS install manual says their unit can be used with a variety of probe manufacturers or a DIY unit.)

Just got mine from advanced Flight systems. Stand alone AOA. Figured I would use it as my backup. Lots of parts. All there in the inventory. Show you some picks if interested when I have the time to take some pics.
    Starfox

Good info. Thanks. Any ideas/suggestions on what size the mounting pad would need to be to be able to accommodate different brands of pitot tubes?