Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 97 Model IV 1200 Speedster Quarter Windows

Default 97 Model IV 1200 Speedster Quarter Windows

Hey guys. I've read several posts related to installing the quarter windows. I would rather not use the fabric for the quarter windows. It sounds like people are fabric covering and then going back and cutting out leaving enough fabric to use 3m tape to stick the polycarbonate onto the fabric from the inside? Looks like the new models they are using some type of trim to build out the window. I do have some trim that might work but was curious what the best method was. I'm getting close to covering and don't want to miss something big.

IMG_7836.jpgIMG_7838.jpgIMG_7839.jpgIMG_7835.jpg

Default Re: 97 Model IV 1200 Speedster Quarter Windows

You could just forget the windows, and you probably wouldn't miss them. I didn't have them in any of my Avids, so skipped them on the Kitfoxes as well. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    You could just forget the windows, and you probably wouldn't miss them. I didn't have them in any of my Avids, so skipped them on the Kitfoxes as well. JImChuk
    Thanks Jim! Is a that the wide body conversion you have on yours? I’ve been looking at the murle Williams kit. Would you recommend it?

I widened the fuselage 2" on each side with 1/2" chrome moly tubing. Did the same thing on my Avid Flyer when I rebuilt it but only went 1 1/2" on each side on the Avid. An extra 3 or 4" makes a big difference. I wouldn't do another build with out doing the widening. Here is a picture of my Kitfox fuselage before the sand blasting, but after the widening. When you are ready to hang the doors, twist them to fit the new shape, and then install the windows in them. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

ok. U sold me on it. Guess I’ll be widening! I see you added some strength to the landing gear. I’ve seen several posts about doing that on the model IV. How did you create those plates? Is that .025 4130 plate? Do you just use a hole saw?

I used .040" chrome moly sheet, and various sided hole saws on my drill press. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    I used .040" chrome moly sheet, and various sided hole saws on my drill press. JImChuk
    Thanks Jim! Appreciate it!