Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: engines

Default Re: engines

Thanks so much for all that and now I do know the parameters so maybe I will endup doing the same as you and go for a mk4, if I am stuck with the mk3 than I think I will make 80mph my cruise max...........many thanks mike

Your welcome Mike. If more cruise is very important then the Model 4 is the better choice. The Model 3 is a great aircraft but is 20 mph or more slower in cruise. I flew my Model 3 a couple times from Arizona to Idaho but usually took 1.5 days.
    My 4 would do the same trip easily in one day but my my Model 4 was also 100 hp. and easily cruised 115 to 120 mph.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

ok well I guess its a long wait for a 4 as there are only a few in the uk and they rarely come up for sale so it will be a slow cruise with a 582 for now going along waiting for it to stop lol

Trim is less of an issue on UK aircraft as we are required to fit elevator trim tabs to all model 1,2,3 and 4 aircraft. We don't use flaperons for trim. Flap function is also limited to 0 - 15 degrees range and this is gated in 5 degree steps.

@flybymike might be worth looking at what prop you are using. My model 2 has a 582 but I've just fitted a ground adjustable 68" Ivoprop. 100mph Vne was achieved in level flight on permit flight test. Can't really comment on cruise yet as I've only done flight test plus 1hr of circuits since rebuild.

hi and thanks for your comments, mine has an elevator trim tab and I have a 68" warpdrive and I too can get 100 in level but was hoping to get a safe 95 cruise but it now looks as if that is to much to expect of the aircraft and I have no flap lever fitted on mine as it is flaperon only.

No flap/flaperon trim lever at all? I've heard a few people just lock them off at 0° but assumed it was all still in place.

hiya, my las KF was a mk2 and had flap lever locked at 0 with a bolt but this mk3 has no lever at all , don't know why although I have never needed it, whats your reg mine is gbwar

Hi Mike
    Mine is on microlight so I have to keep the flap function operable. Still learning the finer points to flying it.
    Mine is gbukp

Other engine option worth looking at is the belgian built D-motor

Quote Originally Posted by Smiffy View Post
    Hi Mike
    Mine is on microlight so I have to keep the flap function operable. Still learning the finer points to flying it.
    Mine is gbukp

Other engine option worth looking at is the belgian built D-motor
    hi smiffy, D motor is a heavy lump and best suited for mk4 or 5 , you will get to enjoy the finer points lol..............I would say always try for a good three point landing and that after some KF time it will make you a better pilot as it will sharpen your handling skills , I have around 400 hrs in KF 2-3 and still never relax to much especially on landing., yours looks good, you can see mine on youtube if you put in GBWAR.

mike

Quote Originally Posted by flymadmike View Post
    hi smiffy, D motor is a heavy lump and best suited for mk4 or 5 , you will get to enjoy the finer points lol..............I would say always try for a good three point landing and that after some KF time it will make you a better pilot as it will sharpen your handling skills , I have around 400 hrs in KF 2-3 and still never relax to much especially on landing., yours looks good, you can see mine on youtube if you put in GBWAR.

mike
    engine wise, I think we all seek the same Holy Grail!