Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rudder Rod Ends

Default Rudder Rod Ends

Hello!

I was working on the rudder recently (airfoiled SS7) and I would like to ask if people can comment on fitment of the rod ends.

I've scoured build threads and see some builds have up to half of the threads exposed on the bottom mount. I checked a model 5 and its bottomed out top and bottom.
    Looking at the Aurora Bearing site and FAA guides I can't find anything on an acceptable amount of thread engagement.
    I see the 1.1/2-2.5/16" gap callout and I know the design intent is a 1/8" gap. Just curious on how much others have extended the rod end to achieve it.
    My tail post is not factory so I don't have a baseline to judge. I feel good about the engagement of mine but if there is a standard I want to make sure that I meet it.
    Input is appreciated.
    Thanks!
    🇨🇦CANADA
    Flying | SS7 | G3X | Edge 912

Default Re: Rudder Rod Ends

General rule of thumb is 1.5 times the major diameter of the thread. If I remember those are 5/16 rode ends which would mean about 1/2" engagement. However that rule of thumb is for radial loading of the rod end to its maximum load rating, which is nowhere close to what they will see as a rudder hinge, so you could get away with less. I'd definitely like to see at least 1 diameter or 5/16"
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Default Re: Rudder Rod Ends

I believe the rod ends (female thread) have a small hole in the side to indicate the mating male thread must at a minimum come to the hole to achieve full load rating.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS