Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Easy short haul trailering option for Series 6

Default Easy short haul trailering option for Series 6

There is a relatively easy option for moving your kitfox if the distance to the airport is not too great and you only need to do it once - just hire a tow truck.

Knowing the 50 miles of highway was rather bumpy, I could not take any shortcuts in the bracing and preparation. I bought the "Transport Kit" from John McBean and it worked great. In particular, the tail pad was awesome at preventing vertical fin abrasion from the folded flapperons and also for keeping the rudder secure. Having seen lots of discussion on trailering threads about the top of the fuselage crumpling, I put an additional support under the tail and I was glad I did. Not sure if all kitfox models have this but my series 6 has a lift point on the bottom edge of the fuselage in line with the leading edge of the vertical fin which goes all the way thru the fuselage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Egd-WEpCJo

Because I scoured the forum here for weeks trying to figure out the best option for moving my kitfox, I thought I would assemble all the other options I considered.

Why not a car mover style between the wheels trailer?

With 8.5" wide tires, my Series 6 main gear is 88" wide as measured between the outside of the tires. The maximum width allowed on freeways is 102" so no highway legal car trailer would be wide enough for me. A between the wheels trailer *could* work but it would need to be custom built (as many here have done) so that the mains do not need to roll pass the trailer wheels (haul backwards).

Why not an "over the axle" or pintle trailer like Big Tex 100A-20?

That would have worked but then I would have had to rent a vehicle to pull the trailer too which would have cost more than the tow truck.

Why not a 24' flat bed truck?

I have done this before and would have done this again but none of the local rental places had these any more as they ended up selling them off because business stopped during COVID shutdowns. If you dont own a truck with a tow hitch, this is often the cheapest way to go for short haul. If the lift gate is long enough, you can roll the mains onto the platform and use that to get them up onto the platform, then use a cheap rolling shop crane to lift the tail up high enough that you can roll it fully onto the platform without scraping the bottom of the fuselage. If the lift gate is not long enough, you have to build a ramp and winch it up. Its a bit scary to do this, just make sure the ground is perfectly level and take it slow.

Why not a big enclosed moving truck?

Many moving trucks are 8' wide which would appear perfect for moving a kitfox safe and sound. The problem is that none I found had a door width is insufficient. I suppose if you got really creative you could put your plane in caddywhompus to get one wheel in, then use vehicle positioning wheel dolly to move the mains sideways and get the other wheel in you could do it but there would be a lot of opportunity for disaster. The only enclosed option for a Series 6 appears to be a custom enclosed car hauler by Blizzard or Arising.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 3kdscf; 08-30-2020 at 08:44 AM. Reason: added image

Default Re: Easy short haul trailering option for Series 6

Good idea! The video was especially interesting and informative.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Looks like your move went smoothly. All the best!
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Quote Originally Posted by t j View Post
    Good idea! The video was especially interesting and informative.
    Thanks. In case anything went wrong, I wanted it on film

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    Looks like your move went smoothly. All the best!
    Thanks! It took 20 years to get this far but I suspect now that I have to pay $700/mo for a hanger, progress to first flight will accelerate a bit