Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Imperial main fuel valve

Default Imperial main fuel valve

My kit has an Imperial brand main fuel valve. Since the kit has been sitting so long, I was unable to turn the valve on and off so I took it apart and removed the old packing grease. Of course when I put it back together it binds so bad I can barely turn it. I understand that I need to pack it with fuel proof grease. So, question....is there a better valve that I should use? Or is it worth repacking and using this Imperial. Seems like a quality heavy duty valve.

Model 5 kit, circa '95

Default Re: Imperial main fuel valve

I don't know what brand of valve came with my 1999 model 5, but I am guessing it is the same brand.

I would try using some fuel grease. Totally clean off the old dried up stuff first. If you have the valve apart you could try cleaning the brass parts in Hoppe's 9 gun cleaner. Let the parts soak in it just long enough to clean the brass. Acetone, gasoline or MEK may also work to dissolve any gunk and will not damage the brass. Once you lube it with fuel grease it should operate smoothly.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks. I read that it is the same valve used in the Aeronca's and Taylor craft. Some mentioned that they leak and there are some after market replacements that are upwards of $400, being that they are for certified aircraft. I just need to find find some fuel proof grease now.

A search on this forum will answer that question. Most of us here have a tube of fuel lube and just used a tiny bit.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I don’t know how the valve mounts on a 5, but if the same as a 7 you might considering getting a more modern ball valve from Kitfox. Those old plug valves were used on a lot of older airplanes, but a modern ball valve with teflon seats is a much better way to go, IMO. Very smooth, reliable, and no lubrication required. If you can figure a good way to mount it, a common brass plumbing ball valve with teflon seats, from your Local hardware store, will work great. Literally thousands of them have been used on experimental aircraft for decades. If you want to stick with the old tapered plug valve, fuel lube is available from Aircraft Spruce, Amazon, etc.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks John. I like the idea of a modern valve that I don't have to Lube up to make work. I believe the mounting is the same in 5-7. I have the same center console as I have seen on the newer 7's. I like the lever on the imperial valve so I might look at making a ball valve work with this lever.