Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 year rubber replacement

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 5 year rubber replacement

Has anyone found a better/cheaper way to do the 5 year rubber replacement? CPS price is $1300 and change. Seems outrageous!

Default Re: 5 year rubber replacement

You can check out our other Rotax authorized service sponsor L.E.A.F. out of Wisconsin but likely they will be in the same ballpark price wise as they also are supplying Rotax authorized parts.
    There are cheaper alternatives than using all Rotax authorized parts. Hoses can be purchased elsewhere at much less price per foot and perform well. Some parts may only be available from Rotax which are pricey. There have been discussions about substitute items like carb. boots in the past on this site. Lots of posts about alternative hoses for cooling system use and fuel hose alternatives. Motor mounts are available many places. I purchased mine from Kitfox Aircraft.
    Good luck with the project.😀

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I have a strong opinion that most of the 5-year rubber replacement is not necessary.

I have learned from "inside" people I have spoken to much of this stems from the idea that Rotax has no idea how the engine is mounted in the aircraft and where it is stored, so they recommend a worst case situation for these parts. On an open cowled airplane parked outside in Phoenix or Miami has the same standard applied to it as a closed cowl airplane in a hangar in Wisconsin.

Do you replace all the rubber components on your car every 5 years?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Strictly a liability and maintenance plan precaution IMO; if they didn't put a timeline that was well within normal failure rates they (OEM, etc.) would be liable.

Automotive plans generally are 10 years even though the vehicle is well outside of warranty at that point because they determine that is a liability to not have it in a long-term service plan.

Generally replaced on condition for all of those items but have a life limit inside of their normal life-limit to ensure liability and the "we told you" rule!

Just my two cents.

My new purchase will get new rubber so I can reset anything that I do not have clear documentation on; it's piece of mind for me and then I can assume all liability from that point on.

Hahaha, My sentiments exactly. Took some study.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I heard Mike Busch, the nationally known and respected aircraft maintenance expert, once say that the Rotax 5-year rubber replacement instruction was probably overkill for an engine that was hangared and flown regularly. He thought 10 years might be more reasonable. This was not an "official" position of his, but was an answer to a question about it after one of his EAA webinars.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Is this recommendation just regarding the 912 or also 582 and other engines? Seems like it would be the same for all?

I totally agree with the last two posts. Ten years seems very reasonable. During your condition inspection we should be looking at the condition of the rubber hoses. What should we be looking for? Here is what the Quest Kodiak maintenance manual says about inspecting hoses:
    Fluid Lines and Hoses: Inspect for leaks, cracks, bulging, collapsing, twisting, dents, kinks, chafing, proper bend radius, security of attachment, discoloration, bleaching, deterioration, and proper routing. Check rubber hoses for hardness/flexibility and metal lines for corrosion.

Realize that a manufacture, whether certified or experimental, can only make recommendations for maintaining their aircraft. Only the FAA can make something mandatory. Only the FAA can make things mandatory. On certified aircraft the FAA mandates or approves things via AD notes, chapter 2 of a POH "Limitations" and ATA chapter 4 "Limitations" in maintenance manuals.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I would definitely replace the cab boots at 5 years. Hoses can likely go longer but the carb boots have the weight of the carb and air cleaner cantilevered off of them and they do crack with age.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Purchased a model V with almost 1700 hours and 19 years on the rubber with the exception of the carb boots.
    Declined to do a test flight before getting it done, lol.
    Probably would be fine but that is pretty excessive.