Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 year rubber replacement

Default Re: 5 year rubber replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    Use these (Link) and you won't need to replace them every 5 years. Far superior to the Rotax items.
    The has to be the most confusing website I have ever seen. With that said I figured it all out and ordered two new carb boots earlier today and got a tracking number within an hour. Thank you for posting it up!
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Hahaha, My sentiments exactly. Took some study.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Strictly a liability and maintenance plan precaution IMO; if they didn't put a timeline that was well within normal failure rates they (OEM, etc.) would be liable.

Automotive plans generally are 10 years even though the vehicle is well outside of warranty at that point because they determine that is a liability to not have it in a long-term service plan.

Generally replaced on condition for all of those items but have a life limit inside of their normal life-limit to ensure liability and the "we told you" rule!

Just my two cents.

My new purchase will get new rubber so I can reset anything that I do not have clear documentation on; it's piece of mind for me and then I can assume all liability from that point on.

Is this recommendation just regarding the 912 or also 582 and other engines? Seems like it would be the same for all?

I bought a Kitfox finished in 2011 in 2018, with 110 hours on the Rotax 912ULS. Engine now has 455 hours and 10 years of age. I just replaced the fuel and oil lines, and I will soon do the radiator hoses. The hoses were in great shape except for the hose ends. They were rock hard and I had to cut them off with a razor blade knife in order to remove them from the fittings. Oil hoses were 1/2 inch ID transmission hoses, fuel lines were standard 5/16 ID fuel hoses, and some of the radiator hoses are 1 inch ID, all available at local auto parts store. Only hose that I had to order are the 17MM radiator hoses, about $33 for 36 inches. Spent about $150 for all hoses. Five year rubber kits are a ripoff IMHO. I think 5 years is too soon, I am thinking 7-8 years will probably be ok.
    George
    Granite Bay, CA.
    Kitfox Light Squared
    912ULS Tri Gear

My YouTube Channel

Is there any symptom or time limit that would indicate that the carbs should be overhauled? My engine was put in service in 2008 and taken out of service in 2016 when the original Remos plane crashed. I returned it to service in 2020. It had 697 hours on it at the time. I had CPS perform a propeller strike inspection and no damage was found. The only parts that I was charged for were two float bowl gaskets so I don't believe anything but the float gaskets were changed.

From reading through this post it appears that there is a lot of variation regarding age/use related to items being replaced, i.e. cracking, overly hard, etc. I used all new from Kitfox that which comes with the current FWF kit. I did use the original water hoses on the cylinders as they were fine by inspection. The carb rubber is all I am really concerned about. The engine runs fine but due to age, I am wondering if I need to change the rubber in the carbs and put on new flange carburetor sockets.

Fred
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Is there any symptom or time limit that would indicate that the carbs should be overhauled? My engine was put in service in 2008 and taken out of service in 2016 when the original Remos plane crashed. I returned it to service in 2020. It had 697 hours on it at the time. I had CPS perform a propeller strike inspection and no damage was found. The only parts that I was charged for were two float bowl gaskets so I don't believe anything but the float gaskets were changed.

From reading through this post it appears that there is a lot of variation regarding age/use related to items being replaced, i.e. cracking, overly hard, etc. I used all new from Kitfox that which comes with the current FWF kit. I did use the original water hoses on the cylinders as they were fine by inspection. The carb rubber is all I am really concerned about. The engine runs fine but due to age, I am wondering if I need to change the rubber in the carbs and put on new flange carburetor sockets.

Fred
    I have not done my carbs yet. Replacing the floats, gaskets and cleaning is next up on my list. There are several posts on this forum regarding the importance of replacing the carb boots. Mine look really good but at some point soon I will replace them. The rubber is probably getting hard, just like the hoses.
    George
    Granite Bay, CA.
    Kitfox Light Squared
    912ULS Tri Gear

My YouTube Channel

In my opinion:

The last thing you should do (on an experimental 912 engine) is arbitrarily replace the carb floats. If they are not heavy, don't replace them. The new ones offered by Rotax are problematic, yet again.

My floats are (to the best of my knowledge) the original 1997 floats that came with my carbs. They still pass annual weighing test and will not be replaced until they fail.

As far as carb boots are concerned, I am a big fan of the aftermarket boots from JBM. I have them on my plane and they are far better quality than the OEM offering.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

What is the low-down on carb floats? Being new to Rotax and having an engine put in service in 2008, I'm unfamiliar with all things Rotax.
    Fred
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

Any experience with these floats other than they are wildly expensive?

https://msacarbs.com/product/rotax-b...loat-ms80-430/

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    In my opinion:

The last thing you should do (on an experimental 912 engine) is arbitrarily replace the carb floats. If they are not heavy, don't replace them. The new ones offered by Rotax are problematic, yet again.

My floats are (to the best of my knowledge) the original 1997 floats that came with my carbs. They still pass annual weighing test and will not be replaced until they fail.

As far as carb boots are concerned, I am a big fan of the aftermarket boots from JBM. I have them on my plane and they are far better quality than the OEM offering.
    Building a KF IV Classic