Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: lycoming or continental builders?

Default Re: lycoming or continental builders?

Thanks Jim,
    And everyone else that gave good advise and commented on the Question. There is interest in the 0-200, 0-240's, 0-235's and 0-320's, so it is good info for decision making. The 915 turbo empty weights are comparable (?) to these other engine options, and seems to be a few of them around for rebuilding IF , one chooses to do so. Almost twice the torque at half the RPM. Thanks again for all your input. billy

Don't get hung up on torque. Its torque x rpm that equals power, and its power that gives you performance. A million ft-lbs of torque at 10 rpm is useless. Twice the torque at half the rpm is the same power (performance) as half the torque at twice the rpm. Remember, on aircraft engines you don't ever lug them down to a low rpm like you might a diesel truck. Weight and power is where its at!
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

118 hp Lycoming O-235-L2C in my '02 Series 5 Outback.
    I was at 870 lbs. last time it was weighed (1,550 gross).

My 03' KF5 with an O200 came in at 870 lbs. Bare bones instruments and very light weight Microair radio and txp. No lights on wings. Light weight baggage compartment by using fabric for sides and 1/8 in plywood for bottom and back of compartment.

My 20' KF5 with 912ULS came in at 777 lbs. Again, bare bones instruments except addition of electric T&B and this time with Wellen strobes marker lights. Garmin 200 and GTX325 with Uavionics ADSB. Used aluminum sheet for baggage compartment walls and floor. Could loose some weight by taking out the side walls and putting in fabric but, I'm getting 1,100 ft/min climb on a standard day so why bother. I would very much like to redo the panel with a carbon fiber one. I wish there were available a carbon fiber seat pan available.
    Fred
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ