Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hangar build

Default Re: Hangar build

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Whisky View Post
    Ken - regarding the comments on corrosion: from the pictures I assumed the tubular was galvanized. What does the sales brochure say?
    I believe it is galvanized. I'm going to see the salesman on Saturday and hopefully see a sample. I suppose if it is galvanized that would be a plus?
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Yes sir. Since you are a long way from the ocean, you should have protection equal to - if not better than - paint. I'll bet they have example structures in high humidity areas that you can check out. (I'm not suggesting that you can't believe salesmen, but, . . . . . . . . . .)

My only advice would be, if you are having the tubular building done ask the engineering department for structural hanging load analysis. Have a beefed up spot put in or at least have the load analysis for future.
    With a hangar that big, you never know when someone will want to have a 180 hanging from the ceiling switching on/off floats. Would be nice to know what it can take.
    We did this recently here and had to have a new analysis done. It's easier when they are willing to help and trying to sell the structure.
    🇨🇦CANADA
    Flying | SS7 | G3X | Edge 912

Quote Originally Posted by patrick.hvac View Post
    My only advice would be, if you are having the tubular building done ask the engineering department for structural hanging load analysis.
    Great point. We did this for a hangar in that was built in Indonesia. The engineer added an additional truss in between two others so we could mount a trolly and hoist capable of lifting an amphibious Cessna Caravan. It was designedto support 6000 pounds. I used it to do a weight and balance once on the Caravan by hoisting the plane on a single loadcell and leveling the suspended plane using ballast. Fun day.

The hangar in Indonesia is the reason I mentioned corrosion. This hangar is located on the coast where every piece of steel in the city had corrosion on the sea facing side. The hangar was built with welded steel tube trusses and painted with the red oxide primer. We had to paint the trusses every year or two to keep corrosion from winning. Lots of work. Bottom line: get it done right the first time and make sure it is galvanized or has some type of corrosion protection.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

My hangar is finally underway. Decided to go with a custom wood build, 60 wide 48 deep.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

I hope you can fit a Kitfox in there.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Very nice Ken, how great will that be to have room to work on your Kitfox and a shop right at the house. Bruce N199CL

Good choice Ken, I built a hangar just a bit smaller than you are building about 25 years ago, wood trusses, wood framing with painted steel roof and walls. The only problem I had was condensation on the inside of the roof, that became very annoying. I could has sprayed the ceiling with foam but instead I installed a tarp onto the trusses the full length of the hangar. I left the first 4 feet on each end open for air to circulate. This ended the condensation problem. I am in Pa. and this would be a problem during the spring thaw or very humid summer days right after a thunderstorm. Since then I have built a couple other outbuildings and was told to put down a 50mil plastic before pouring the concrete to help solve the condensation issues, seems to be working.
    Are you on your own airport or a community park?

Jim

Congrats Ken - I was worried about whether or not there would be enough room to hangar when we come down for a visit. But - I'm guessing if your CJ is in at the same time, there won't be. It is looking good!!

Jim, it's on a grass strip of a fly in community (FL10). I wont be moving in for a couple of years. That's where I plan to retire. For now it will be a nice getaway spot; I'll throw my small camper in there.
    Darrel you are always welcome to visit me in Florida.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind