Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hangar build

Default Hangar build

I'm looking to erect a 60 wide by 50 deep hangar with a 48x12 hydraulic door (Higher Power). I'm trying to decide between a tubular steel design, pictured, and a heavy red iron steel i-beam design. Both rated for 130mph winds. The tubular will be a little less expensive and more locally available. Any thoughts or experience welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Default Re: Hangar build

Ken - I'm not familiar with the tubular type design shown in your picture but if they both meet the same wind specification then cost might be the major consideration. Just comparing your picture to the girt and purlin style I had makes me want to lean towards the tubular style because it appears it would be easier to make additions to the walls for hanging "stuff" or routing piping/tubing/electrical items. But - this person's opinion is worth exactly what you paid. I'm looking forward to following this project.

Wow, a 60 x 50 hangar will hold a gaggle of Kitfoxs! You will really like the Higher Power door. I had a similar type one put in last spring that was made by Supreme Hydraulic Doors.

As far as the hangar I am wondering how both types hold up to the corrosive Florida environment. If the structure needs to be painted down the road it is going to be a lot of work and expense.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    Wow, a 60 x 50 hangar will hold a gaggle of Kitfoxs! You will really like the Higher Power door. I had a similar type one put in last spring that was made by Supreme Hydraulic Doors.

As far as the hangar I am wondering how both types hold up to the corrosive Florida environment. If the structure needs to be painted down the road it is going to be a lot of work and expense.
    Good point to consider about corrosion.
    As far as size, with airplane, boat, camper, and workshop it will fill up quick. I dont want regrets on going too small but anything larger I can't justify.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Phil, what size is your framed opening, and then what is your actual clearance with door open?
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

My door was a retrofit. I have a 48' x 36' hangar and the door went from about 47' to 45' wide. It is 11' high and I believe it looses about 8" of height when it's open. So to answer your question I now have a 45' x 11' opening, which is more than big enough for a kitfox or most any small plane.

I think a 12' height for yours is a good idea. If you ever sell your hanger it is able to accommodate just about any GA aircraft.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

we built red steel it is faster so cheaper for labor we built 40 deep 80 wide with a 45' offset door one thong we learned is that all hangars should be done that way

our Georgia hangar is 75 deep and 50 wide one airplane must be pulled out to get the other out

learned we wish our 40x80 was 18' tall ( it is 14 )

go tall,wide and shallow you can put an airplane in and angle it, that allows other stuff to load in without moving an airplane, close out the bottom of the siding ( rat guard )

use a tall sheeting on the inside

David Kelm

Quote Originally Posted by dcsfoto View Post
    we built red steel it is faster so cheaper for labor we built 40 deep 80 wide with a 45' offset door one thong we learned is that all hangars should be done that way

our Georgia hangar is 75 deep and 50 wide one airplane must be pulled out to get the other out

learned we wish our 40x80 was 18' tall ( it is 14 )

go tall,wide and shallow you can put an airplane in and angle it, that allows other stuff to load in without moving an airplane, close out the bottom of the siding ( rat guard )

use a tall sheeting on the inside

David Kelm
    Why do you say taller? I was going 14' walls. And what do you mean by tall sheeting on the inside?
    Thanks, Ken
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

My hangar was build attached to the house through the laundry room. Size was 33x50, 16' high, it is wood frame so I can't help on which metal to use. However Phil's comment about corrosion is valid for Florida, steel beam would be easier to paint and maintain against corrosion than tube truss. I have a Higher Power door, 38x13 (12' opening), it is offset with a garage style roll up door next to the big door. On the side with the roll up door is a bathroom, and office with a mezzanine/loft over for storage. If the ceiling is low, it will make using the loft area for storage more difficult.

Ralph

Ken - regarding the comments on corrosion: from the pictures I assumed the tubular was galvanized. What does the sales brochure say?