Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Corrosion on the frame?

Default Corrosion on the frame?

Hi guys,
    I was working on the rudder pedals and found one of them had started to rust under the powder coat, such that it was chipping off in a couple of places. I contacted Kitfox and I'm sending it to them to be cleaned up and re-coated. Now I'm a bit paranoid. It looks like I'm seeing corrosion under the powder coat in various places on the fuselage tubing. My kit was delivered in December of 2018 so I wouldn't think I'd have a problem yet, even though it spent 6 months in my Seattle garage before moving to the dry Richland, WA area. Do these pictures look like corrosion, or just flaws in the powder coating?

Thanks...

IMG_5277.jpg IMG_5280-979x734.JPG IMG_5281-979x734.JPG
    Greg Anderson
    7SS in "production" : https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=ganderson
    Richland, WA

Default Re: Corrosion on the frame?

that doesn't look like corrosion, looks like powdercoat flaw. Find a spot thats not easily seen and take the powdercoat down to bare metal to confirm. TBH I'f you had a whole kit sitting in a damp location I would be much more concerned about the untreated empanage ribs being warped and or ruined.
    S7 STi O-320 currently flying

Default Re: Corrosion on the frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Denalifox View Post
    that doesn't look like corrosion, looks like powdercoat flaw. Find a spot thats not easily seen and take the powdercoat down to bare metal to confirm. TBH I'f you had a whole kit sitting in a damp location I would be much more concerned about the untreated empanage ribs being warped and or ruined.
    Thanks Denalifox. All the wood ribs were re-wrapped after inventory and I've checked them since I moved to Richland. Also the wings were hung from my garage rafters in "warmer" air in Seattle and they still look good. I'll make sure to double check all the wood parts when I get to them.
    Greg Anderson
    7SS in "production" : https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=ganderson
    Richland, WA