Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kitfox IV Classic 1200 Elevator Fabric Covering

Default Re: Kitfox IV Classic 1200 Elevator Fabric Covering

To be honest, I didn't really use the Stewart system. I used the 3M glue that is reported to be the same glue they used. In addition, I used house paint and Gripper primer. There is a fair bit of information out there for doing this. It is way cheaper, non-toxic, and you can have any color you can dream of. If you want it perfectly shiny and beautiful you will have to spend a lot of time sanding and buffing - something I plan to do over the winter. My first priority is to get it Flying and from 20' away it looks fine.

Very cool. So what is used to fill the fabric?

The Gripper primer encases the fabric to give you a strong mechanical bond. The first two coats are painted on to force the primer through the weave. I do four more coats with a spray gun, lightly sanding in between. It goes pretty fast.

Very cool! Thanks for the info!

In some of these I didn't see any UV protectant material. The Stewart system has a UV blocker - gray material that is both a filler and UV blocker to protect the Dacron from sunlight. I strongly suggest using something that is known to block the UV.

Bill U.