Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox IV Classic 1200 Elevator Fabric Covering

Default Kitfox IV Classic 1200 Elevator Fabric Covering

I purchased a Kitfox IV 97 Kit from a prior builder. The only fabric covering that was completed was the elevator. I'm new to fabric but it appears to be Stewarts but i'm not sure. I need some help identifying it. If I decide to go with Poly-Fiber will this fabric need to be removed or should I finish with Stewarts or can you continue with Poly-Fiber? I've seen some old posts where people state that Poly-Fiber is better but Stewarts is less toxic and easier to work with. Some of these posts were older. Just looking for thoughts on what the rest of you would do.

elevator.jpg

Default Re: Kitfox IV Classic 1200 Elevator Fabric Covering

I personally would not mix two systems on my airplane. If you want to go with Stewarts on the whole project and you are satisfied with his covering job, then go ahead. If you choose to go Polyfiber on the rest of the project, then remove the elevator covering and start over; that one item is not going to set you back much timewise. Polyfiber vs. Stewarts, do your research and make your own choice. I chose Polyfiber for its long history on certified airplanes and no downside except its noxious fumes.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Yes, that is Stewarts system.

If you are 100% happy with the quality of the covering and don't have any reason to remove it you could continue the elevator with PolyFiber (Poly-brush, Poly-spray & color coats). I called Stewarts to ask the same question and was told it would be okay to switch systems. I didn't end up doing this myself though.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I used Stewarts on my build. I found it quite easy and forgiving. The tail was covered inside my house. I love that I don't need a mask to work on this. I have no other experience to compare this to so this isn't the greatest reference.

I now have a Kitfox IV. Before that I recovered my Skybolt with the Stewarts system. I much prefer it because of the chemicals. I covered the tail surfaces in my office with no smell at all. The fabric of both systems are the same. It's the chemicals involved that are the difference. Stewart is much more forgiving and a shorter time to get to the final paint.

Bill U.

Thank Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    Yes, that is Stewarts system.

If you are 100% happy with the quality of the covering and don't have any reason to remove it you could continue the elevator with PolyFiber (Poly-brush, Poly-spray & color coats). I called Stewarts to ask the same question and was told it would be okay to switch systems. I didn't end up doing this myself though.
    Awesome! Thanks Phil!

Awesome! Thanks Phil!

Quote Originally Posted by CoClimber View Post
    I used Stewarts on my build. I found it quite easy and forgiving. The tail was covered inside my house. I love that I don't need a mask to work on this. I have no other experience to compare this to so this isn't the greatest reference.
    I like the sound of that! Being able to do it in the Air conditioning would be nice! Any issues painting?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill U View Post
    I now have a Kitfox IV. Before that I recovered my Skybolt with the Stewarts system. I much prefer it because of the chemicals. I covered the tail surfaces in my office with no smell at all. The fabric of both systems are the same. It's the chemicals involved that are the difference. Stewart is much more forgiving and a shorter time to get to the final paint.

Bill U.
    Thanks again for the responses. I was wondering if there were fabric differences between the two systems! Good to know!