Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Model 2 with Maul tailwheel - we left the runway!

Default Model 2 with Maul tailwheel - we left the runway!

Hi Chaps

I have a model 2 with a Maul tailwheel. I've only just got it flying again. Test flight carried out by a local instructor.

I've done a couple of hours with another owner in his model 2, which wasn't perfect but was okay, and he's kindly been and flown with me for an hour in mine.

However, conditions were a bit windy and there was a little turbulence on the approach so I didn't get in many landings at all.

The final landing resulted in a bounce and settling back down, followed by heading off to the left of the runway which I responded to with full right rudder.

The airplane didn't respond to my rudder input and by the time I got on the brakes, we'd left the runway.

We ended up off the runway at 90° to the runway, but no harm done. Not quite a full blown ground loop, but it was luck that no harm was done.

Thinking over it afterwards, the complete lack of response makes me wonder if the tailwheel unlocked as I stomped on the right rudder.

Should I be removing the unlock plate? the down side of this idea is I've tried taxiing and I can't quite turn around on our runway without the tailwheel unlocking!

Any thoughts, guidance appreciated.

Smiffy

Default Re: Model 2 with Maul tailwheel - we left the runway!

*****Disclaimer******
    The stated views are my own opinion and shouldn't be construed as actual knowledge nor are they instructions or online flying lessons.

First off I believe that a pilot should NEVER try to recover from a bounced landing. Go around and try again.
    Second, the rudders on a Kitfox are big enough that if you are at flying speed it should point the nose in whatever direction you command it to.
    Third, are you sure you didn't apply the left brake prior to "stomped on the right rudder"?

You should probably also check that your tailwheel is rigged properly. There are several Youtube videos how to do that.

Lastly, get an hour or two with a skilled tailwheel instructor.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Not sure if this is what you are experiencing, but on my Kitfox, I have a hard time not applying brakes during landing. I don't have this problem in other airplanes and I tried to adjust the pedal geometry but the brake master cylinders have been set to as short as possible for the most forward brake pedal possible. Mine does not have the "E" style pedals and I think these are likely better, but my feet just don't want to work well with the geometry the way it is right now. I could shorten the shafts on the master cylinders but would prefer not to. After the last time I flew I decided to modify the pedals. The plan is to make some add-on pieces to alter the geometry as shown by the red in this drawing. I haven't done it yet but I think it will help my situation.

pedals.png
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

I also nearly left the runway. A 150ft wide one. I can attest to the need for proper set up of the tail wheel. Matco TWs are not the same as the Scott type. Be certain that when you view the videos you are looking at the Maul tail wheel set up.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by desertdave View Post
    *****Disclaimer******
    The stated views are my own opinion and shouldn't be construed as actual knowledge nor are they instructions or online flying lessons.

First off I believe that a pilot should NEVER try to recover from a bounced landing. Go around and try again.
    Second, the rudders on a Kitfox are big enough that if you are at flying speed it should point the nose in whatever direction you command it to.
    Third, are you sure you didn't apply the left brake prior to "stomped on the right rudder"?

You should probably also check that your tailwheel is rigged properly. There are several Youtube videos how to do that.

Lastly, get an hour or two with a skilled tailwheel instructor.

When I said bounce, it wasn't a full blown going skywards again, it was just a bump in the grass causing it to skip and float in the 3 point attitude before settling again. Looking back at the tire tracks in the grass, they were curved rather than a straight, so runway alignment was initially correct. We were below flying speed when it all started going wrong.

I was no doubt a bit slow on my feet, it's whether being heavy footed caused the tailwheel to unlock which is why the curved track continued rather than some sort of response.

Quote Originally Posted by 109JB View Post
    Not sure if this is what you are experiencing, but on my Kitfox, I have a hard time not applying brakes during landing. I don't have this problem in other airplanes and I tried to adjust the pedal geometry but the brake master cylinders have been set to as short as possible for the most forward brake pedal possible. Mine does not have the "E" style pedals and I think these are likely better, but my feet just don't want to work well with the geometry the way it is right now. I could shorten the shafts on the master cylinders but would prefer not to. After the last time I flew I decided to modify the pedals. The plan is to make some add-on pieces to alter the geometry as shown by the red in this drawing. I haven't done it yet but I think it will help my situation.

pedals.png
    Yes, I find it almost impossible to to cover the brakes whilst on the rudder pedals for the very reason you show! Just done a quick bit of research on "E" pedals and now know the difference and that early brake pedals have been discussed before, so thanks for that tip! I need to read further.

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    I also nearly left the runway. A 150ft wide one. I can attest to the need for proper set up of the tail wheel. Matco TWs are not the same as the Scott type. Be certain that when you view the videos you are looking at the Maul tail wheel set up.
    I don't feel quite so bad now as ours is only 65ft wide and with a slight down hill slope!

All comments have been taken on board, I'll be going though the tailwheel this evening and looking at pedals.

Instructors, I've so far had 2 decline to fly the Kitfox and the 3rd who did the test flight, described it as "lively" having not flown one before, which is why I've been flying with another Kitfox pilot even though he's not an instructor. The last TW airplane I have experience on was a Jungmann and while it is also narrow tracked, the tailwheel is locked from the cockpit so won't unlock, and the brakes not used on roll out.

All input appreciated...

If you do want to try removing the unlock mechanizm on the tailwheel, you may find that you can make fairly sharp turns using full rudder, some forward stick, some throttle, and brake on the side you want to turn to. Those things will help the plane turn pretty sharp. It is how you make a plane turn sharp on skis but of course then you don't have the brakes available. Maybe play with that a bit to get a feel for how the plane reacts till you get used to it. This comment is referring to your only having a 65' wide runway to turn around in. JImChuk