Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any experience with edge performance 914 efi engine?

Default Any experience with edge performance 914 efi engine?

Will be putting a 914 in my S7 and i
    I'm about to order an engine. Would really like fuel injection but dont know what the experience has been with them. Also looked at SDS but again dont know much.

Thanks

Default Re: Any experience with edge performance 914 efi engine?

I installed Edge EFI , if your computer skills are good its' no problem. Little more difficult to tune with a turbo. If you decide to go EFI, install before installing the Boot Cowl and Engine. ECU and AFR and turbo servo are mounted on pilot side of firewall. The EFI was about 6,000.

I would highly recommend a Intercooler. It keeps intake temps down which will help your engine live longer and stay farther away from DET, which will destroy your engine.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Thanks for the input. Yes, definitely would get the intercooler. Judt wondering what the experience is out there with their engines.

Many are running the edge EFI. (Edge claims hundreds of systems sold) I am running the 912STI and it’s the same efi. EFI is solid system. Make sure your install is done correctly. Make sure you wire up your fuel pumps correctly with quality and proper wiring technique and you won’t have issues and you will love the system.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Hi Okent,

I contacted Edge Performance just last week for their latest prices.

I'll let EP's CEO Thomas share their price list if he wishes, however I can't see any harm in sharing his following three lines, after I enquired about ongoing maintenance costs of EP modified Rotax Engines:

"They don’t require any special maintenance, and in fact they are cheaper to maintain than a standard Rotax as there are fewer rubber components and no carburetors to synchronize and maintain.

There are no know “failure items” but as an example one of our Garrett adapted turbos cost €1750 over Rotax 914 turbo at €5500.

We are constantly developing, and the newest on the drawing board now is a high flow oil pump and a billet one-piece crankshaft and forged rods."

I own several multi cylinder vehicles with EFI and they all require occasional syncing of the throttle bodies. Does the Edge just have one TB?
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

I see no harm in disclosing pricing information, with the caveat that it's probably not valid if you're reading this significantly into the future.

I spoke to a dealer about the EP912STi a few weeks ago and was quoted $35,000, plus $750 for optional test stand break-in and tuning at the dealer's location. Freight from the dealer to me would be ~$500.

The dealer recommended either the Airmaster constant speed prop (~$9,000) or the Luga 79-inch 3-blade ground adjustable "Kool Prop" (<$1,500).

Significant items missing from the crate would include the oil cooler, radiator, and plumbing parts for those items and for the intercooler.

Fuel requirements and limitations mirror those of the core Rotax 912ULS.

The ECU that Edge Performance uses does not interface with any of the popular EFIS/EIS packages we typically use; there is no CAN bus access to operating data (like with the 912iS or 915iS, for example), so you have to instrument the engine as you would a 912ULS. Or, if you prefer, you can use the Flybox Vigilus EIS (starting at €1,190 plus sensors).

Lead time for an EP912STi was quoted as 12 weeks, as of a few weeks ago.

The dealer said Edge Performance offers a 1-year warranty on the core engine and a 5-year warranty on their components.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

The dealer recommended either the Airmaster constant speed prop (~$9,000) or the Luga 79-inch 3-blade ground adjustable "Kool Prop" (<$1,500).

I thought someone said the airmaster electric prop was only for 130hp and down?
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

It appears they recommend the same prop for the EP912STi as for the 915iS. See here, and note the "related items" at the bottom.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings