Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Radiator Question

Default Radiator Question

Hey folks

I have a quick question on radiator. The setup I have on my Model V is dual radiators as seen in the picture below. I was doing an engine inspection the other day and noticed the side where the fitting is located is bulging a little. Not sure why. I can't find where these radiators were purchased from by Skystar. Anyone would know part number and where to find them?

I am considering 2 options at this point to resolve the problem. Get them out and send to griffin radiators ( www.https://www.griffinrad.com/) for them to built a new one and match the exact specs or simply weld that area that shows bulging.

Thoughts?
    Cheers
    Alex Di Sessa
    IMG_4402.jpg62D92D0D-8FBD-4187-94B5-AC8A3BC4E479.jpg422AAA82-0CF9-4D1A-B55E-77BA09C802E1.jpg

Default Re: Radiator Question

Alex - recommend you contact the factory. They supplied what appears to be the same thing for my SS7. BTW, I noticed a similar bulge today that I don't remember seeing before. It hasn't gotten to the point yours has but now I know to keep an eye on the issue. If you will, please keep us informed as to what you find out.

That looks to me as though that little square piece is delaminating on the bottom as well. Looking at how that is installed, where it is only attached at the firewall, leads me to believe that it could use support out at the front. I imagine with every landing and every tubulence bump, the radiator is fulcruming from the fire wall and now the metal is fatiqued and collapsing a bit. Loved your latest YouTube Alex.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Whisky View Post
    Alex - recommend you contact the factory. They supplied what appears to be the same thing for my SS7. BTW, I noticed a similar bulge today that I don't remember seeing before. It hasn't gotten to the point yours has but now I know to keep an eye on the issue. If you will, please keep us informed as to what you find out.
    I did and they don't have that style anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    That looks to me as though that little square piece is delaminating on the bottom as well. Looking at how that is installed, where it is only attached at the firewall, leads me to believe that it could use support out at the front. I imagine with every landing and every tubulence bump, the radiator is fulcruming from the fire wall and now the metal is fatiqued and collapsing a bit. Loved your latest YouTube Alex.
    The picture of the plane and engine mount is not mine. There are actually 2 support pieces that holds really well in place in addition to the support on the back side as well. The radiator is really well secured there. I had an issue last year where my coolant boiled and I am not sure if that was what caused this bulging which I noticed few months ago. I've been monitoring and the gap did not get bigger.

As for the latest video, it shows I have a lot of growing to do still.
    Alex

Hi Alex,

That plate with the hose fitting is coming un-soldered from the side "tank". A good radiator shop can probably fix it. Since more & more radiators are made of aluminum now, it seems a little harder to find a radiator repair shop, but they're still around. I don't know what's going on with the bulging. I suppose it's possible that the tank is made of pretty thin material, and it might have bulged if pressure rose too high in the system.?
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    and it might have bulged if pressure rose too high in the system.?
    pretty sure it was the cause of that bulging since I did have an issue with overheating while ago.