Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Series 7 Cross Wind Capabilities

JRSapp

Default Series 7 Cross Wind Capabilities

New to the forum. I am looking at a series 7 and have seen handling descriptions that it flies like a heavier plane, easy transition from 172's, etc. I do not want a kite like airplane that gets tossed around. Is that handling statement true? Also, how is its cross wind capabilities? I fly from a small strip with variable and gusty winds most of the time. Because of this, I am looking at the tricycle gear format. Thx.

Default Re: Series 7 Cross Wind Capabilities

I wouldn't say the model 5-7 Kitfox is like a kite and gets tossed around. It is lighter than a C-172, but it handles very well.

As far as crosswinds the Kitfox is a great plane with a powerful rudder. I don't know what the xwind limit is, but it is more than 20 mph. If you are flying a tailwheel the plane it can probably handle more xwind than the average pilot is willing to do.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I recently did kitfox training at Stick and Rudder. I asked this question of my CFI. He flies and lands in 20 all the time. My time is mostly in 172s and the kitfox is very responsive and capable. Mine is tailwheel and will fly soon.

If memory serves me correctly the max crosswind component is 24kts. I had 20-25 kt wind down the numbers and I recall I had to use braking to get the airplane turned toward the departure end while taxiing to the runway. I have conventional gear. I was able to taxi OK with those crosswinds though, just couldn't get the tail to swing into the wind to allow the downwind turn while taxiing. I don't recall using the prop wash much to get it around the corner so maybe had I done that I wouldn't have needed the brakes. ?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X