Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few General questions from a new member

Default A few General questions from a new member

Hi Everyone,
    this is the only aviation related forum i'm on so hopefully this is an OK place to ask general questions.

I was wondering what the rules are with sport pilots license and buying a used experimental aircraft( a kitfox of course!). Is this ok if it was registered at less than 1320 lbs gross? I ask because i'm apprehensive about medical, I was told i had "mild add" by the neurologist two years ago and it seems like this might be a problem, Although i'm not on any medication so maybe not (this is my second question). can anyone shed any light on this situation? Otherwise i'm perfectly healthy.

Thanks!

So far i'm really enjoying the forum and all the great builds!

Default Re: A few General questions from a new member

For buying an amateur-built (AB) to operate as a light sport airplane, you have to examine the entire logbook and the operating limitations of the airplane. The gross weight is set during phase 1 flight testing and the airplane can be put back into phase 1 multiple times during its life. A gross weight change should be recorded in the logs. The key for operating as LSA is that the gross weight can NEVER have been stated to be over 1320 pounds. As long as it stays under 1320 all is good. So a 1200, 1050, 950, or 850 gross weight Kitfox is fine for LSA.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

John Brannen
    Morris, IL

109JB, thanks for the info, that definitely clears op the 1320 lb rule.
    As for the link, rhe way I read that I should be fine, but given the downside of not passing I'm going to continue to research. If anyone has any personal experience with something like this that would be great!

If you have a valid driver's license, and have never been denied a medical, you should be qualified for a sport pilot license. You need to determine weather you are, health wise, safe for flight before any flight, and that really applies to any pilot, medical or not. I don't think I would let one doctor saying I might have a mild case of what ever hold me back if I felt healthy. Here's a question, do you feel healthy enough to drive in larger cities with lots of traffic? One other thing that knocks a plane out of being legal for sport pilots is if the plane has ever been flown with an inflight adjustable propeller. JImChuk

Thanks for the reply and info!
    Just to clarify i have no question about my health and honestly don't think i'm any more a.d.d than your average engineer. I have a long history of racing everything with wheels and have no questions about my ability to remain in control of a vehicle. I'm just at the point in my flight training where i need to solo and that means deciding if i should go private or sport. I would definitely prefer private.

I took the a.d.d test after i mentioned to a new doctor that teachers told me i was a.d.d in elementary school and she mentioned i should get tested, I did it more out of curiosity than anything else, and after taking that test it would surprise me if ANYONE that took it came out with a "not at all a.d.d" score. that thing was like 6 hours long.

Now i know that there is a non-zero chance that if i submit for medical i will be denied and be screwed for life, i'm trying to determine how far from zero that chance is given i'm a perfectly functional adult that's on ZERO medication.

My plan was to find a used model 5,6 or 7 to fly now and possibly start building one for the experience, if i stick with the sport pilot my options will be so much more limited on both the buying and building routes, it's bumming me out haha.
    Last edited by crf538; 07-29-2020 at 08:35 AM.

I think i'm just going ahead with the medical, it looks like at worst i'll have to do an additional screening. It seems like the biggest concern is the medication which I am not on nor do I have any intention of ever being on.
    Thanks!

I struggled with this same issue. I have a commercial license. Can't use the KF for anything in that regard so didn't get the medical. The plane is designed for low and slow so flying in excess of 10000ft is rarely necessary for most of us and I can go to 12000 to clear terrain. I don't enjoy flying at night any longer and Im endorsed to fly into class B so that leaves retractable gear and constant speed props as issues for a Sport Pilot. Obviously the gear isn't an issue with a KF (maybe amphibs) and the prop choice is then limited. Weight is what I found as the issue. If need be, anybody who purchases my KF can change the Wt limit and they can put on a prop of their liking. For me, the in flight adjustable prop is what I have sacrificed by flying as a Sport Pilot. Weight is a little bit problematic but not so much 95% of the time. Looking for a 5,6, or 7 may limit you as some are registered at the 1550 wt limit. Build your own and you will just have to respect the sport pilot limitations as I did. Im flying the hell out of this plane and I really don't have any complaints. Some day, hopefully, the weight for the sport pilot may increase. Hopefully a self adjusting
    prop gets accepted by the FAA. I will be one of the first to purchase that prop. I doubt your ADD is going to stop you from getting your medical for the PPL but if your like me, you won't often be restricted to the Sport pilot limitations too often when you consider the purpose that the KF serves most of the time. Low, Slow, daylight flying. Best of luck to you.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I took the a.d.d test after i mentioned to a new doctor that teachers told me i was a.d.d in elementary school and she mentioned i should get tested
    Most boys at that age with an active, inquisitive mind fall into that category. Teachers just get tired of dealing with us and want our parents to get testing and have us drugged into compliance. If it wasn't for ADD I wouldn't have all the fun I'm having in retirement... now I just need to focus on getting one thing done.... Is that a plane I hear flying over ... I need to see what and who it is! I'll get back to the project soon.

Ralph

Another question is if the doctor actually DIAGNOSED you with ADD, or if he just mentioned that you may have a mild case of it. My understanding is that a true diagnosis of ADD is quite involved. A quick search shows that a true diagnosis includes:

Technically, to be diagnosed with ADHD inattentive type, adults (age 17 and older) must have:
    Five or more symptoms of inattention (see symptoms); symptoms can change over time
    Symptoms must be present for at least 6 months
    Symptoms must interfere with or reduce the quality of social, home or work life
    Several symptoms were present before the age of 12
    Several symptoms are present in at least two major areas of your life, for example, work, home or social life. Some examples might be job loss due to inattention symptoms or financial problems caused by poor organization or failing to pay bills on time.
    Symptoms are not due to another mental disorder

If you were not officially diagnosed then....well you weren't diagnosed with it.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL