Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 458lk

Default 458lk

I've been lurking for quite a while, reaching out to some for advice and generally learning as much as I can getting ready for this moment. It's time to start my build. I recently picked up a 2013 SS7 kit and drove it back home. It only has about 40 hours of work completed and I'm very excited about being able to do the majority of the build on the plane. Thanks to my awesome wife that went on the 4 day road trip on 2 days notice. A very big thank you to Eddie and Brian for answering all my questions and being so supportive! Honestly, it has been the incredible Kitfox community that inspired me to take on this venture and I am excited about becoming part of the family. At first, I will definitely being leaning on others for help, support and guidance but look forward to paying it forward when I can.

Harlan and Bryan (and others): Thanks for doing such detailed build videos. I can only imagine how much time you put into them, but for guys like myself (small brain. like moving pictures), they are incredibly helpful.

For all those that have taken the time to put together detailed build logs with advice and pictures ( I really do like pictures) thank you! I will try to keep up the standard.
    Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 4.56.32 PM.jpg
    All loaded and ready for the trip from Washington state to Southern California.
    Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 4.57.27 PM.jpg
    Rotisseries done. Time to get the inventory done and a part order to Kitfox.
    Last edited by tdldedcd; 07-28-2020 at 05:06 PM.
    Todd Downing
    SS7 458LK
    Building
    G3X
    915is, Airmaster prop

Default Re: 458LK

Welcome! Congratz on your "new to you" S7.
    Looking forward to your build.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Congrats Todd on your kit purchase. With perseverance it will one day soon leave the ground and give back to you great aviation adventures.😀 Enjoy your build and very best of luck. Welcome aboard.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Todd, Welcome to the the world of building a kitfox! Most of the knowledge that you will need is right here on teamkitfox. There are some great builders here that enjoy helping us new builders out. I am very thankful for their help and I'm sure you will be too. Look forward to watching your build. Harlan
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Funny story. I obtained my project from across the country. A few weeks later I see a series 7 project in Port Angeles, WA on Barnstormers - maybe an hour away for me, and a nice drive even.
    A good chance it was your plane. Funny how many miles a project can get on it before flying.

Ok Todd, the clock is ticking. Im waiting for a flying partner. I finally have someone close to home that I can help out from time to time with special tools you may like to use. Rivet squeezer, sheet metal edge bender, sheet metal bender etc. etc. etc.. Have you finished the inventory yet? JK
    P.S. Fred B., The offer of tools is open to you as well. Get busy you two. Now we just need to get Kevin over his hurdles so he can get back to building his SS7. The three of you are all at about the same spot in the build right now.
    Last edited by efwd; 08-04-2020 at 08:00 AM.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Eddie, your last name is fitting, because you sure do pay it "Forward" , nice gesture on time and tools , great forum members we have. Bruce N199CL

Thanks all for the welcome and well wishes.

Eddie- Starting the inventory today after a little shop clean. Thanks for the tool offer. I'll definitely take you up on that and all the advice you are willing to give. Pay it Forward Eddie is so true!!

Alex- I think it is the same plane. Sorry the COVID shutdown prevented you from being able to get it. I hope you find another soon. Keep in touch and let's build together.

Fred and Kevin- Let's lean on each other. We are always stronger working as a team than trying to work solo.

Next update coming soon.
    Todd Downing
    SS7 458LK
    Building
    G3X
    915is, Airmaster prop

Hi All,

Starting to make progress and I already have a question.
    elevator and hor. stab.jpg
    I know I've read about this on someone else's build but I can't find it again. I have several ribs on the elevator that are really loose without any sanding. Should I try to fill these with wood or will a thick bead of hysol be enough?
    elevator gap.jpg
    Thanks Eddie for the much needed motivational flight!!!
    motivation.jpg
    Last edited by tdldedcd; 08-13-2020 at 09:26 AM.
    Todd Downing
    SS7 458LK
    Building
    G3X
    915is, Airmaster prop

If it was mine, I would scab on a piece of the same thickness plywood (maybe a piece of one of the stiffeners) and then recut the contour. There shouldn't be that much gap; are you sure you have the correct rib in the correct place?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS