Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 458lk

Default Re: 458lk

If I wrote the build manual, there would definitely be BOLD notes around important items to quadruple check! One being......Important.....after rigging and before drilling.....check the lift strut brackets to make sure they are still lined up with the "Drag Line"!

Thanks for the advice Jerry. Glad it all worked out for you rigging!
    Todd Downing
    SS7 458LK
    Building
    G3X
    915is, Airmaster prop

It's been a while since I've update my log. Been busy with work, but also busy on the plane. Got through 2 steps that had been haunting me and glad to be on the other side of them. All said and done, rigging the wings and fabricating the doors were actually really enjoyable, but a little nerve-racking for sure. I can't say enough about John and Debra at Kitfox. To have such an invaluable resource has been extremely helpful. So has this group. If you are reading this considering building a Kitfox, this community is incredibly helpful, informative and encouraging!! I have learned a great deal already.

Installation of the door/window frames.

IMG_1015.jpg

Door cut to fit. One Door completely done. The other needs a few more tweaks. Re-ordered the hinge material. Didn't like the way they turned out. Found out my neighbor has a large bandsaw that will make the cuts much cleaner.
    IMG_1043.jpg
    Parking brake mount installed.

IMG_1018.jpg

First time the wings have been on. The original owner purchased it without the pre-rigged option. Was really sweating this one, but the directions were really clear. Had one glitch, but a good conversation with John at Kitfox resolved the issue.
    IMG_1058.jpg

I had to fold them!!

IMG_1067.jpg

Reinforcement fittings hysoled and riveted. All 8 are done.

IMG_1075.jpg

The obligatory photo of the lift strut attachment bracket with Clecos holding it in place.

IMG_1078.jpg

The lift strut attached brackets hysoled and riveted in place.
    IMG_1080.jpg

That's it for now. As always, if you all see anything that needs attention, the insight is always appreciated!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tdldedcd; 03-07-2021 at 04:38 PM.
    Todd Downing
    SS7 458LK
    Building
    G3X
    915is, Airmaster prop

Awesome. I'm sweating the wing mounting too, which will be in about three weeks for me.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Ah yes, the dreaded wing rigging. I just noticed that this is the first time the subject came up and I didn't experience palpitations from the PTSD. It only took two years. Looking great Todd!
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks Eddie. Let's get together and going flying again soon.

Alex, the directions really are very good. Read and re-read them. The more I read them, the more comfortable I got. If you have any questions, PM me and I can offer up things I learned.You've got this!!
    I'm flying a Citabria right now too. Fun little plane.
    Todd Downing
    SS7 458LK
    Building
    G3X
    915is, Airmaster prop

Haven't posted in a while. Made the decision to take a little time away from the project. Was starting to make a series of mistakes that weren't major but will end up costing me a chunk of time to fix (and a little $). One of those mistakes was attaching the #1 rib to the wing without reattaching the wing to the fuselage while the glue sets up. Unfortunately, both #1 ribs had to be removed because the spars are not lining up with the lugs on the fuselage. IF you are reading this and have not gotten to this stage, be sure to reattached the wing to the fuselage and allow the rib to set up overnight with the wing attached. This is a must!

On a positive note. Eddie (EFWD) and my EAA build advisor came by to check in on the build. Got a lot of good feedback on the build and Eddie gave me a lot of great advice on upcoming sections of the build. Thanks a lot for coming by Eddie!! I'm ready to jump back into the build with renewed confidence and enthusiasm.

Alright. Back to building.

Thanks to Dustin for his advice on removing my #1 rib. I really appreciated you quick response!

Take Care All. Hope to see many of you at Oshkosh this year!!
    Todd Downing
    SS7 458LK
    Building
    G3X
    915is, Airmaster prop

I can empathize on how you feel. Usually I catch my "oops" moment after the glue dries or riveted in place. Lol
    I now read ahead more than once and underline critical steps.
    Mistakes have decreased although there are still some anxious moments.

The guys here are great and without them and this forum we would all be in a hurt locker.

I'll see you all at Oshkosh next year. Still moving to the new house...

All the best and keep on going!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Haven't posted in a long time. Work has been crazy so all my spare time has fully been dedicated to building. I'll do my best to include all i've been able to get done since my last post. It's still a sloth speed build so keep the expectations low!

#1 rib in and check with wing on. For those that are yet to do this step, make sure you reinstall the wing after you hysol the #1 rib and allow to fully cure with wing on. I learned this the hard way.
    IMG_1235.jpg
    Jury strut rigged and measurements recorded.

IMG_1234.jpg
    Fuel tanks cleaned out, fittings installed and pressure tested.
    IMG_1246.jpg
    Tanks and sight gauge installed, false ribs cut and installed, #2 rib and trailing edge installed, spars primed, LLE installed and sanded
    IMG_1717.jpg
    Cool pic I snapped while flying with Paul at Stick and Rudder this June.
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    Last edited by tdldedcd; 10-03-2021 at 04:09 PM.
    Todd Downing
    SS7 458LK
    Building
    G3X
    915is, Airmaster prop

Part 2 of this update.

Reinforcements in the TE. Used the kit from Kitfox. Best price and precut.
    IMG_1754.jpg

Got the mounting tab cut and drilled in the wingtips.
    IMG_1757.jpg IMG_1758.jpg
    Mount for the GMU1, Pitot tube and OAT all in the wing. Still need to add the tubing and wiring. More pics to come. Planning on running everything down the rear spar.
    IMG_1755.jpg
    Started working on the flaperons. TE solid flush riveted. Thanks Eddie for the use of the squeezer and for you advice!! Drain holes drilled.

IMG_1737.jpg
    End ribs glued and riveted. The tips are in but still need some superfill work. Pics of those when they're done.

IMG_1736.jpg
    Counter weighs are glued and riveted. Used solid rivets for the TE on these too. Thanks Deborah for your help!!
    IMG_1750.jpg

The flaperon jigs are done and started work on the control arm assembly. Starting to get really close to covering. The list of things to get complete before covering is starting to get smaller and smaller. Taking a covering class first week of November so shooting to be ready to cover by then. Sorry for the lack of good photos. I'll work on better photos.

Take care.
    Todd Downing
    SS7 458LK
    Building
    G3X
    915is, Airmaster prop

Looks like some real good progress!
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop