Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 458lk

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Rudder threaded bearing not straight

Hi all. I was finishing up the speedster tail and balsa tops for the VS and rudder when I noticed a misalignment at the top of the tail. After closer inspection by myself and all the neighborhood pilots, we discovered the threaded bushing on top of the tail post is not straight. It's about 1/8" to the right. This causes the rudder to stick out past the VS on the right side when I put the bolt through the rod end. As soon as I take the bolt out, the rudder moves into perfect position.

Would it be better to tweak the threaded bearing or the rod end? I'm concerned with damaging the welds of the threaded bearing and am leaning more towards tweaking the rod ends. end quote.

Boy that's a tough one. Myself being a welder would cut it half or two thirds way around and straighten and reweld. I'm not sure you could tweak it being welded in with out cutting some metal around it. Bending the rod end doesn't sound good either.
    Do you have anyone near that runs a welding shop?

Rudder pedal question. I attached them all to the front where the fire wall will be someday. Any where is fine for attaching the copilot pedals as long as they are all the same. Later when the rudder is hooked up you will want to position them for max foot stroke room.
    Last edited by Kitfox Pilot; 12-23-2020 at 07:56 PM.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos