Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: The Barn Find Build

Default Re: The Barn Find Build

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    I Being a cheap pilot, I was considering the Rigid Industries D-Series Pro 3” LED lights (one spot and one flood).
    That is exactly what I did back in 2015 on my plane. I looked at the specs on some of the name brand aircraft LED lights and found that the Rigid D Series lights met or exceeded those specs. I put a pair of Rigid spot lights in my plane and wish I had gotten one spot and one wide angle. They work great for being seen and landing at night.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks, Phil. I appreciate the field report. It's hard to know how a non-aviation part will work without direct experience.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

My propeller has arrived. I ordered a 3-blade hydraulic constant speed FLASHBLACK-M unit from DUC Hélices of France, and a governor from Jihostroj of the Czech Republic. I'm probably taking a bit of a risk with a prop system that doesn't have a lot of installations on Kitfoxes (particularly the hydraulic constant speed units), but both are well-established companies with considerable history, so I'm not too worried. That said, fingers crossed...

All of the parts look very nice; fit and finish are excellent. Here are some photos (with weights).

Hub (72.700 oz):

IMG_1728.jpg IMG_1729.jpg

Blades (53.625 oz, 53.635 oz, 53.680 oz):

IMG_1733.jpg IMG_1734.jpg

IMG_1735.jpg IMG_1736.jpg

Hardware (30.660 oz):

IMG_1732.jpg

Spinner and backing plate (25.915 oz):

IMG_1731.jpg

Governor (36.735 oz) (stock photo; I'm not removing mine from its protective shrink-wrap until I need it):

Governor.jpg

So, the total weight of everything comes to 20 lbs 6.95 oz. With some allowance for a prop spacer, cockpit knob, control cable and a bit of hardware to route and secure it, I'd say the installed weight shouldn't much exceed 22 lbs. I'll be sure to weigh everything else as well, so I can report an accurate all-in weight.

Now I just have to hope that it works as well on the airplane as it looks on the bench!
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

Eric - those pieces and parts sure do look nice. Anxious to hear how they do in the air.

Airplane parts and pieces are beginning to take over my house. I really need to get back to work and start attaching some of them to the airplane.

I received a pallet of stuff from Kitfox last week and finally got around to breaking it down this afternoon. It included a new firewall and almost all of the remaining parts for a complete 912iS firewall-forward kit, as well as a few other miscellaneous items.

Among the "other miscellaneous items" was this:

Rotax 912iS in Crate.jpg

This is a "Type 3" engine. The covered plate right behind the gearbox, with the hard oil line going to it, is the propeller governor mounting pad.

The sharp-eyed viewer will note that I somehow lucked into #152 of a 200-unit run of 100-year anniversary edition engines. Since there's no such thing as a free lunch, I'm guessing that it's absolutely identical to every other engine, apart from that decal.

The prices of these things are eye-watering, but I figured out a way to rationalize the purchase: According to this website, the average horse costs about $3,000. So, to purchase 100hp in actual horses would cost $300,000 -- 12 times more than the 912iS. See? It's a bargain!

Plus, the engine will sit quietly in the corner of my garage, demanding nothing of me until I need it. One hundred horses, not so much...

Horse.jpg
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

It is a beauty Eric. They do look great bolted to the fuselage. Soon, you’ll see. Keep after it.😀

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Very cool Captain Eric!
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Your valve covers are Red as well. My 912iS is green.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

That HAS to be worth at least 5hp.

Per valve cover!
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

Would you believe, I finally got back to working on the plane for a few hours today? I spent about an hour at the computer fleshing out my instrument panel design (using the free panel designer at Hangar Flying), then headed to the garage.

I set the copilot door in the fuselage opening, shimmed it with tongue depressors to center it in the opening and clamped it in place.

IMG_1769.jpg

Then I grabbed two hinges, positioned them below the butt rib bracket, marked the hinges through the existing holes (drilled by the first builder), center punched the hole locations and drilled them out. With that done, I fixtured them in place with temporary bolts, pinned the hinges and clamped the lower half of each hinge against the door frame.

The rear hinge ended up slightly out of alignment with the butt rib bracket, but it'll hold the door on so I'm going with it. I read somewhere that perfection is the enemy of completion.

IMG_1770.jpg IMG_1771.jpg

Next up will be to countersink the holes in the hinges for flush head bolts, then back-drill through the existing holes in the door frames and through the lower half of each hinge. Then I can back-drill in the opposite direction through the little rectangular backing plates. Aligning the existing rivet holes on the inside of the door frames will require that I jury-rig some sort of strap duplicator. I have an idea for that...

It's really nice to finally be making some progress again!
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings