Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 15 of 47 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: The Barn Find Build

Default Re: The Barn Find Build

Looks like you're bringing those back from the dead. The instructions I'm using tells you to sand them with 150 grit between coats. Two coats for proper protection and a third coat if you want it to look beautiful. I'm doing a third coat on the very bottom rib near the tail wheel because it's the lowest point.

When I started my first batches of Hysol I was mixing up too much and wasting quite a bit. I've got that dialed perfectly now and get very close to full utilization.

But with the Epoxy varnish I'm still wasting about 50% it seems. When reduced it is very thin and a little goes a long ways. You can't really come back for a second coat with a given batch (my experience). The current layer is already curing and when you try to brush more on it gets clumpy and doesn't flow. Looks terrible.

Since my first batch where I let it cook for an hour I've dialed it back to 40-45 minutes with good results (humid and cold here currently). It still only gives me about 30 minutes before the varnish in the cup starts to gel slightly, at which point it stops flowing well and brush marks start showing up in your work. Then everything left in the cup is worthless.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

That's really good intel; thanks. At some point I scribbled out a note to myself with instructions that said to let it cook 30 min, but I'll go with 40 based on your experience.

I've got the following recipe:

Combine 2 parts EV-400 varnish + 1 part EV-410 catalyst
    Rest 40 min
    Filter through 60x48 fine mesh paint filter
    Combine 2 parts catalyzed varnish + 1 part E-500 reducer

Does that match what you've been doing?
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Nothing to report for today, but yesterday...

I started by putting new, lightly greased o-rings onto the brake pistons and reinstalling them in the cylinder bores. They felt nice and smooth going in, so I'm optimistic about having serviceable brakes.

IMG_0910.jpg

Question: what are y'all using for sealant on the threads of brake fittings? I've got Permatex 85420 Permashield Fuel Resistant Gasket Dressing and Sealant that I bought for fuel fittings. Does that work for brakes as well?

Next I sliced the new bottom tail rib in half and fit it to the fuselage. I had to fiddle with the aft section quite a bit to get it to fit around the new reinforcement gusset, but I ended up with a good fit-up, and unlike the original, the sides line up from forward to aft sections (or at least they will if I glue them properly).

IMG_0909.jpg

I had a number of control system parts laying on the bench, ready to go, so I finally installed some parts in the airplane for the first time! I'm not going to look up the name of each of them, but I'm sure you'll recognize them. I don't trust anything done by the first builder, so as I reinstall these parts I'm winding every threaded rod end all the way in so I'm forced to set them up again from scratch.

IMG_0911.jpg IMG_0914.jpg
    IMG_0915.jpg IMG_0912.jpg

The flap handle was a real bugger. Since the mounting tab on the right side was bent just a tiny bit, the hole in it didn't align with the short piece of 3/16" ID tube on the left. I had an awful time trying to get the bolt through until I realized what the problem was and straightened the tab, then it went right in. Go figure.

I also had some issues with the flaperon mixer, but soon realized that you-know-who didn't ream the bolt holes, so they were still full of powder coat and a little excess metal. It's amazing how much better a bolt fits when the hole is the correct diameter. I think I've reached the fourth stage of grief on this project; I just shake my head now when I find things like that.

By the way, I did wipe the careless paint overspray off of those plastic cable guides in the flap handle picture.
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

That's looking good, Eric! I really like the Permatex High Temp Thread Sealant. Good for up to 400 F. Parts can be repositioned up to 4 hours after application. Full cure takes about 3 days.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Looks great. I went through every single fastener in my control system too. Not just for the presence of the correct hardware but for orientation and torque. I didn't find anything horrific but there were a couple of places I made corrections. The "five" manual has you set the length of the the push pull tubes and tells you to leave the jam nuts backed off so you know visually that they still need some love.

It also says to leave them until after the plane is covered and you will rig all the flight controls then. I decided early on that I would at least rig my elevator. My 7 manual has a pre-covering checklist and it instructs you to rig everything before covering, so I did. Everything except the very aft end of the elevator push-pull tube is set, jam nuts tight and decorated with torque seal. I've already had the stab/elevator on and off enough times to know there is no variation.

All of my aileron controls still have the jam nuts backed off since my wings are just fiction at this point.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    I really like the Permatex High Temp Thread Sealant. Good for up to 400 F. Parts can be repositioned up to 4 hours after application. Full cure takes about 3 days.
    Great, thanks John. I just ordered a tube.
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    Looks great. I went through every single fastener in my control system too. Not just for the presence of the correct hardware but for orientation and torque. I didn't find anything horrific but there were a couple of places I made corrections.
    You're lucky. I've found plenty of horror in mine!

My 7 manual has a pre-covering checklist and it instructs you to rig everything before covering, so I did. Everything except the very aft end of the elevator push-pull tube is set, jam nuts tight and decorated with torque seal.
    Beauty. I haven't read that far ahead in either manual yet, but I'll plan to do similar. Thanks.
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

I completely rigged my rudder, elevator and cabin aileron/mixer before covering. There really isn't much that can change. I tightened everything I could and marked them with torque seal. If you need to make any adjustments think about the rod end that is easiest to get to and leave the jam nut loose or marked somehow.

Check and double check everything: travel direction and limits, rod end centering on both ends, proper thread engagement/witness holes, no rubbing or interference and smoothness of travel.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Sounds like good advice, Phil. Thank you.

Today I figured I had enough stuff to glue that it was worth burning the Hysol I would lose in a discarded mixing nozzle. I started by drilling the rivet holes in the elevator push-pull bushing adapters to attach the male threaded rod ends, deburring, cleaning, applying Hysol, pulling two rivets, then panicking when I realized that the 1/8" x 1/4" rivets called out in the manual interfere with each other in the ID of the rod end. I was able to drill them out and clean up the Hysol before it set, then experiment with 1/8" x 3/16" rivets instead. Those had plenty of grip length and didn't foul on each other, so I reapplied Hysol, pulled six rivets and ended up with one of these on each end of the tube.

IMG_0916.jpg

Next up was gluing in a new false rib in one of the wings. I also re-glued four other false ribs that had been knocked loose at some point, but I only took photos of the new one.

IMG_0917.jpg IMG_0924.jpg

While the Hysol gun was at hand, I glued down the protruding ends of the aluminum "Z" pieces around the door opening, at the aft end of each door. That required some creative clamping that taping to (hopefully) hold the ends down tight. It remains to be seen whether it'll be successful.

IMG_0918.jpg IMG_0919.jpg

Finally, I glued the new bottom rib pieces into the base of the tail.

IMG_0920.jpg IMG_0922.jpg
    Last edited by Eric Page; 12-28-2020 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Fix images
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

Nice work. I too did all of my rigging before covering. Make sure when you set up the elevator to allow for seat upholstery (bottom cushion and stick cover) otherwise you will have to redo the rigging to get 39 +/- 1 degree on the elevator up position like I had to do.
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog