The lack of updates is a consequence of the last few days being very frustrating. With every airplane item I picked up, I lacked either the hardware or the tool I needed to work on it. Then I'd order some stuff from Spruce, go back to the garage, and within two hours have another list of stuff to order. Three orders in three days, plus one from Yardstore (cool place worth looking at if you haven't seen it before; great prices and very reasonable shipping), and I already have two items on the list for my next order.

Anyway, I did get a few things done over the last several days. First up was securing the comm antenna in its mounting block and tacking each rib pass-through against vibration. I used bathtub caulk so that it would be held securely but could be removed in the future if necessary.

IMG_1090.jpg IMG_1091.jpg

Sticking with the antenna, I marked and drilled #10 clearance holes in the bottom mounting block, then counterbored the back side for two #10-32 tee nuts.

IMG_1098.jpg

With the tee nuts pounded into place, I did a test fit-up. The green stuff sticking out of the clamp is a short length of rubber (cut from the end of a mil-spec exercise band) that provides some friction between the clamp and antenna. Seems to work well. The bolts will be replaced with drilled head versions (on the way), which I'll safety wire so they can't get into the tail controls.

IMG_1100.jpg IMG_1099.jpg

Satisfied that it would work as intended, I cleaned up the tubes, mixed some Hysol and secured it in place.

IMG_1104.jpg

I'm getting near to installing the center console, so I made a start on getting that assembled. The original was in an appalling state, so I ordered a new one with the notched brackets. However, I neglected to get new spacers for the brackets, so I had to disassemble the old console and clean up the spacers from that one.

I found screws that appear to be from an electrical box or light fixture, and a lot of green muck that was slathered on way too thick, apparently over dirty parts.

IMG_1093.jpg

After drilling out some rivets and using a punch to remove the bolts...

IMG_1094.jpg

...I ended up with ugly spacers.

IMG_1095.jpg

Wash, rinse, repeat, and add some Dremel cutting (easier than drilling out two dozen rivets)…

IMG_1097.jpg

...then after a night in paint stripper and a pass on the Scotch-Brite wheel, I had these.

IMG_1101.jpg

Next I deburred the brackets on the Scotch-Brite wheel, put them through Alodine treatment, then discovered that I'm two short on AN3-11A bolts (they're on the way too).

IMG_1103.jpg

If Amazon delivers on time, I should have some thick CA glue today and can get back to fitting elevator ribs.